Skip to main content

Goat Round Up


I didn't have to worry about where I'd get my 10,000 steps yesterday (I have a fitbit).

I gained just shy of 8,000 steps by noon.


I was very prosperous in getting work done, so I could write, and I was at the kitchen computer.  I can see all 3 barns, but not Big Boy's shed.  I was the only one home, and it was very quiet.
 
Anyway, I kept hearing a bang-ity-bang sound.  Very similar to those that Big Boy makes when he gets loose. 


I looked out, but saw nothing.  I heard it again, and again, saw nothing.  I finished my writing, piled up my tools, and started walking down the hall to put it away, when I saw white out of the corner of my eye. 

Urgh!  Misty, who is due in about 13 days, was not only out of the barn, she was out of the goat fence.  She was all the way up to the big barn and near the driveway.

I threw on a coat, pulled on boots and ran out there.  Why run?  Well, I didn't want a goat to get on the country highway, that was just across the driveway.

When I got there, she was not the only goat loose.  It was Misty, Rue and Prim (the trouble maker).  And as for Prim, we don't want her bred yet. 

When I got out there, I had to bring in water buckets to fill, and walk back out.  Then the dogs had to go out.  I'd say I got my day's worth of exercise in.

On the to-do list:

-buy Rue a collar.  His was broken from Misty's horns and it's no fun trying to corral a goat without a collar.

-fix the goat fence gate latch.  It's broken.

-do something about the animal door latch on the barn.

Comments

Willow said…
Farm life keeps us a stepping , don't it :))
Sandra said…
Those days are not my favorite. Nothing like looking outside and seeing animals roaming around where they don't belong!
Michelle said…
Those are the days you feel like you never get anything done,because your always getting side tracked by something.
Mama Pea said…
Your goats must be suffering from spring fever lately! (New and different territory to explore, you know!) Ones the little buggers learn they CAN get through or out of a gate, it's a real challenge to keep them in. Life on a homestead is never dull. (Let alone being able to get done what you plan on getting done!)
RB said…
We had horses long ago that were quite Houdini's at getting out of their fence. They'd play with the latch until they got it flipped up, then out they'd come, with the neighbors calling the cops to come round them up until we could drive there (we lived about 5 miles away and rented the pasture) to get them.

The cops did not like that, not one bit. LOL

Finally, we put a length of heavy tow chain through a part of the fence and then through a link in the gate, put a padlock through the chain securing it, and that stopped that.

Might want to try it.

God bless.

RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart