Skip to main content

Reading, Recipes and Stocking Up

While the internet and cable was out, we did a lot of reading around here. We've been visiting the library much more often this season.  I was able to can a few things too.
 


One of the books I read, was A Killer Maize, A Farmer's Market Mystery, by Paige Shelton.  It was pretty good too.  In the very end of the book, the author shares recipes.  I have never made strawberry syrup, so I saved up 2 lbs. of my Ever-bearing strawberries and made some.  Although the recipe states you end up with 7 - 1/2 pints, I had 5.  Not sure why, other than the strawberries I used maybe.  Next time, I will use more if I have them.  This giveaway is closed now.  Winner is posted.



We tried our strawberry syrup on ice cream the other night, and oh my gosh!  It is delicious!

I am also thankful for enough cucumbers in my garden, to can one batch of Bread and Butter pickles.   I was afraid we would not see anymore this season.

So, in my excitement of getting something stocked up, I am giving away this book.  Simply post a comment about something you are thankful for.  Anonymous comments will not be accepted, and you must be follower of my blog.  Unfortunately (so sorry to all of my out-of-the U.S. blogging friends), I cannot ship out of the U.S. for this giveaway.  Money is tight due to the recent events around here. I hope you all understand.

The winner will be drawn on August 15th, and you will have one week to claim it.  It also comes with a locally made milk chocolate bar.


Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm thankful (knock on wood) that so far we haven't been hit by the hail that has been moving through our area.

Love your blog Kristina.
I am thankful for my family and Mary Jane, as with out her I would not have the very special farmgirl sisters and friends that I have. I am truly Blessed.
Thank you Kristina for the great book give away.
Have a beautiful week.
Hugs,
Debbie
#1582
Blessed in Colorado
Winnie said…
I am thankful for finally being able to retire after 34 years of nursing! Now, I hope to have the time to do much more homestead living even though I live in the city. YOur blog always has so many unique and different canning and recipe ideas that you find in all of the books you read. Very fun! I will be out of the country from August 18 - September 3 so if I was the lucky winner, I would be claiming my win on September 4. Mystery books have been a favorite of mine since childhood@!
I am thankful for the ability to get up each morning and have work to do. I am thankful for the many wonderful women I have met on MJ's forum and all I have and am learning there.

This is an awesome book giveaway Kristina.

Hugs,
Denise
Liz said…
I am thankful for the rain we received today. Things were getting a little dry around here. It was the perfect amount. And of course thankful for the beautiful sunset that followed.
Liz
Sam I Am...... said…
There's so much I'm grateful for where do I begin? Today, I'm grateful for the homemade floor cleaner recipe I found and that my floors are now washed with fresh, clean throw rugs on them.
I'm not canning this year but next year if I'm back North by then...I hope to be! You're my inspiration! That book looks really good! Thanks for the drawing!
Kathy said…
I am thankful for so many things. My daughter's and wonderful grandbabies....the ability to realize it is better to slow down....and my chickens. Also thankful for a man who allows me chickens and now possibly dairy goats and unlimited access to aforementioned grandbabies lol.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart