Skip to main content

Playing Around With More Ricotta (again)



I tried another recipe from Allrecipes:   Grandma Johnson's Scones.  I used my homemade ricotta in place of sour cream and used frozen blueberries.  They were soft and moist, and the family loved them.  I think they did need something like nutmeg or cinnamon, but they were still delicious.



I ventured around the Internet the other day, in search of a dinner that would utilize our homemade goat's milk ricotta (once again).  This crock pot macaroni and cheese dinner was delicious.  Just to warn you, it's not your creamy mac n' cheese, but still good.  I did spice this recipe up, by adding some grated gruyere cheese in place of about 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese.  The kids loved it!  Oh, and I doubled it, all except the butter.  Yum!

3 Cheese Mac Crock Pot Recipe 

I am selfishly taking the day off for myself today.  Although I have laundry to do, I am going to refresh with a good book, good tea, and God's beautiful sunshine. Just don't tell Hubby I am not planting in the garden or weeding the flower beds today.  

Comments

Carolyn said…
Oh, there are times when I'm just shoving goat milk ricotta into ANYTHING. Cookies, cakes, pastas, enchiladas, hillbilly lasagna (use spaghetti noodles instead of lasagna noodles). Although I guess it's a good problem to have. :)
Sandra said…
We will be making some cheese with out milk soon. Always glad to find recipes...
thanks for sharing!
Sam I Am...... said…
It all looks delicious! I've been trying to cook more with utilizing what I have as opposed to picking a recipe and then going and buying the ingredients and I'm saving money and the cupboards aren't quite so packed.
I need to take a day off...I might as well have yesterday as I was so tired that I didn't get much done anyway! LOL! TTYL!
Michelle said…
I need a day of doing nothing. I think I am going to take a page out of your book.
Winnie said…
It has been years since I read The Great Gatsby and the movie has arrived in town this weekend. The 1925 edition of the book is so perfect to find! I did see the hotel in Paris last summer where he used to stay when living and visiting there. I was just planning to see the movie but perhaps I should read the book first like you suggest!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart