Skip to main content

My Shawl ~ Little House Style




Finally.  I finished my very own crocheted shawl.  I have
wanted one, like Caroline's on Little House on the Prairie, for years.   I kind of feel like this is a birthday present to myself.  I love it!  These take some time to crochet, but I may just add them to my store this fall.



I also finished a few washcloths. They will pair nicely with our goat's milk soap for gifting.

Well....

The news folks have been forecasting this year to be the worst allergy season ever.  At first I thought it was a gimmick to sell allergy meds more.  But, I think they are right.

Pollen is much thicker in the air just before a rain storm, and today (it rained last night), my eyes are watering like a faucet, and my nose too.  My throat is scratchy also.  I have downed my honey/vinegar mix once already, and hope to add honey to toast to fight this off, and of course I have my Allergy Easer oil to help. They are calling for more storms today too.

Oh, I have to tell you about the raccoons.  I don't have a photo, since my 16 year-old filmed it all on her ipod (hilarious to watch, or should I say hilarious to listen too?), but I can at least share.

Hubby got home and saw hay sitting outside the goat barn so he went out to see why.  When he walked in, he saw two raccoons in there.  My 16 year-old and my son went out to push them out, but the coons went to the old barn, and back again.  The chicken coop is in the same barn as the goats now too, but locked up tight at night.  So is the food.

A few hours later, that stinkin' raccoon was up at the door, eating the barn cat food.  So.....we are back to bringing it in every evening to keep those rotten things away.  They typically don't even show their faces until crops are in.  Now, the radio is left on in the barn all night too (on a talk radio station).

Oh the things us farm family's have to put up with. . . . 

 

Comments

Your shawl is BEAUTIFUL! The stitching is lovely and the color is perfect too.

Hope Jesse is doing better!
EMMA said…
Your shawl is lovely.
Hope your allergies don't cause you too much trouble. My son and husband are suffering over here too.
Nora N. Garza said…
Good afternoon - l love your shawl. A co-worker just asked me for a Ma Ingall's shawl. She described it to me and even drew a picture of it. It was a perfect depiction of your shawl. Would you consider sharing the pattern? I would certainly appreciate it if you would. My co-worker is a real sweetheart, and she would be thrilled to have this shawl (maybe for Christmas, if I get started on it right away). have a great day, NoraGee
Nora, just send me your information in the e-mail under "about me" under the complete profile.
Judy vdw said…
Hi Kristina, I'm looking for a pioneer shawl to make for my soon-to-be 7 year old granddaughter and her mother loved the one you made. I tried to find the email under "about me" but it wants me to sign in to Windows. This is totally baffling for me. Is there another way I could get your shawl instructions? Thank you.
Judy vdW
Judy, I don't know why blogger is doing that, but the pattern is on this post:https://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/2017/02/mas-little-house-shawl.html#more

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart