Skip to main content

Stress Baking

I bake when I am stressed.  However, there is a level of stress, that I should remember to never attempt baking.  I baked a batch of Walnut Coconut Cookies, but accidently doubled the butter.
After I realized that, I realized I only had 3 eggs in the house.  I sent my 16 year-old out for one from the coop, and luckily she brought one it.

While she was out there, her youngest female goat (Prim) came up behind her.  Somehow she got out of the fence again.  Lucky for her she discovered it.

...back to the cookies.  I had preheated the oven at 400°F, but read over the recipe for the ump-teenth time, and realized that I needed the oven on 350°F.  

With my mistake of doubling, and by the way was only baking to use up some homemade goat's milk ricotta (in place of sour cream in this recipe), I was able to double the amount of ricotta too.

By the way, the last time I baked these cookies, I used sugar in place of honey.  The cookies were a delicate shortbread cookie flavor.  With this batch, I used honey, and they are a soft cookie texture.  We also used pecans again.  I do favor the texture and flavor of baking them with sugar.

Now, I have 10?  11?  Maybe 12 dozen of these cookies. 

But, I have one less cup of ricotta to worry about getting wasted.  Next time, any small amounts of ricotta are going in the freezer.

    

Comments

Candy C. said…
Wow, that's a lot of cookies but it is nice to be able to just pull some out when you DON'T feel like baking! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart