Skip to main content

Vegetable Burgers ~ Using Pinto Beans


I'm sharing another healthy recipe.  Once again, from a library book. 

I think the fact that this recipe includes sunflower seeds, which we do not eat enough of, is what interested me.  We didn't get to grow them last year, but did the previous year.

As you know, I cook many recipes using lentils and beans.  I did use pre-cooked pinto beans for this recipe, and they are a softer than canned beans.  I did add an egg to this recipe to "bind" the burgers a bit better.   Either way, you could also add more organic brown rice too.
 (Just as they went into the pan)

These had excellent flavor, and the family once again, devoured them.  These would be perfect with another vegetable side such as sweet potato fries.  Yum!  However, I kind of think the recipe title is funny - they really don't have a lot of "vegetables" in them.  Maybe they should be called Bean Patties?

These are crispy on the outside, but somewhat soft on the inside.  We did not serve these on buns, like a "burger" but ate them on a plate with a fork.

Hubby topped his with home canned ketchup, but you could top it with anything really - relish, salsa, or pickles etc. 

Veggie Burger
(Source:  Are you Tired and Wired? by Marcelle Pick)
 
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 - 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1 tsp. chopped basil
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice

In large skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1/2 tsp. olive oil until onions are translucent.  Remove from pan.

In large bowl, mash pinto beans with back of fork.  Add cooked onions and garlic and remaining ingredients, except olive oil and mix well.  Form mixture into 4 patties.

Back in the skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat.  Cook patties 4-6 minutes per side, or until evenly browned on both sides.

Servings:  4
      
   

  

Comments

I have often wanted to try a recipe like this...but, I just don't know how many I could eat. I know The Honey wouldn't go for it.
He'd taste it...and turn his nose up to it--and there I'd be with a platter full of veggie burgers!
I should just make them once--to say I did. I think they'd be good, especially with ketchup. I love ketchup on my burger and I also like it on my beans when I eat a bowl.

I'm saving this recipe. Thanks, Pat
Looks good. Probably looks better then the picture in the cook book! I make this stuff and the family bulks. They love beans but really love their meat.
Candy C. said…
They look just like hamburgers to me! Did they taste like beans or something alltogether different with the other ingredients?
These did have a good flavor. The combination of ingredients helps them not taste like you are eating beans alone.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart