Skip to main content

Up Early ~ Frozen Pipes ~ Handmade Hay Net ~ A Prescripton for Myself

Cell phones were ringing early this morning.  Both between 4am and 5:30am.  Hubby was called in to work, and the school called.  With temperatures at -12°F, the school is currently delayed for 2 hours.  I am praying all the outside animals stayed warm enough last night.  The barn cats did not come to the door, so I am sure they found a warm corner in the barn.

Our water pipes froze last night, which was to be expected, so last night I warned the kids to fill all the water jugs for the animals, and of course flushing toilets.  At 7am, we got cold water, but hot water pipes were still frozen.
 

Yesterday I made a hay net for Blondie.  The drawstring is a bit too short, but she ate all the hay in it.  I'll be posting a photo on my S.C.R.A.P. blog later.



...this is what I prescribed to myself today, along with a hot up of tea.

I love Leslie Meier mystery novels.   Lucy Stone, married with two kids, is a newspaper reporter in Tinker's Cove.  My kind of book.  If you haven't read the Lucy Stone series, you should.  

Comments

Its very cold here too. Hate milking cows when it is this cold.
Candy C. said…
Awesome hay net!
I love your self prescribed break! We should all do that more often. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart