Skip to main content

Lentil Casserole ~ Delicious!

I'll be honest when I tell you that I had my doubts trying this recipe.  Once again, I found it in a library book.

It's a win-win recipe.  My kids devoured this and wanted more.  I'm not exaggerating either.  It's inexpensive, healthy, and delicious.  They were even asking for it the next day.  No kidding.



I really like the fact that even my kids can bake this dish.  I can utilize my home grown herbs, and dehydrated (or fresh) onions too.

Here is the recipe:
Lentil Casserole
(adapted from Are You Tired and Wired, by Marcelle Pick)

1 cup low-sodium, organic chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup dry lentils (rinsed and drained)
1/4 cup uncooked organic brown rice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 tsp. oregano (dry)
1 tsp. basil (dry) 
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese.

Preheat oven to 300°F.  Mix all ingredients except cheese.  Lightly oil a baking dish with olive oil.  Add ingredients to the baking dish, and cover  (note:  I evenly placed the mixture into the baking dish, and slowly poured the broth over it).  Bake for 75 minutes.  Remove the dish, uncover, and sprinkle cheese over top.  Place back into the oven and continue to bake until cheese is melted.

Servings: 2

Note:  I more than doubled this recipe (4 x the recipe), and used one onion.  I did increase all the other ingredients, using 4 cups broth, 4 cloves garlic etc. and it turned out very nicely.
          

  

Comments

Carolyn said…
I have to admit, when I first saw the title of your post, I decided to skip it today....because the last lentil casserole I made was just, well, horrible. I think it's just three of the dishes I've ever made that nobody would eat.

But, I shall give yours a try this weekend and let you know what we thought. But really, how can you go wrong with onion, garlic & parmesan cheese?!
Lisa B said…
Just checking- lentils go in casserole dry? and come out soft? I ve never tried lentils but have tried other dry beans and except pressure cooker they never come out soft. Just checking ;]
Unknown said…
I've always liked lentils, easy to cook and a nice flavor...
Yes, you put the lentils in dry, and the broth is poured over everything after your mixture is. The broth soaks into the rice and lentils and bakes up very nicely.
Candy C. said…
Thanks for this recipe! I'm always looking for new side dish ideas and I have some lentils in the freezer that need to be used up! :)
Kim said…
Sounds very good. Did you use it as a meat sub? What did you serve with it?
You can serve this with anything really. Add it to a fish dish maybe, with other vegetables, or just by itself. My kids asked for it again, and may get it for an after school snack too.
Sam I Am...... said…
Thank you! I will be making this a.s.a.p. as I need to get my food budget down.
EMMA said…
Just had a wisdom tooth yanked this morning, an can only eat soft stuff. This is going to be perfect and my kids love lentils! Have been meaning to make it since you posted it the other day. Might even convince hubby to try making it as I feel like i've been hit in the face with a large bat!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart