Skip to main content

Frugal and Healthy Soup/Stew



It's the still-needing-a-name-soup/stew.

It turned out more of a stew than a soup.

I did not use any broth or stock either.  


In desperation to clean out my fridge (1/2 can of homemade canned salsa, and 1/2 can of homemade canned, slightly spicy, zucchini relish), I put some things in the crock pot and the family raved over it.

With using the above, I also tossed in:
-potatoes
-carrots, organic
-celery, organic
-onion 
-green peppers (we froze from the garden last summer) 
-corn (we froze from last summer)
-tomatoes (also from the garden and frozen)
-1 pint of home canned tomato sauce  (also from the garden) 
-some frozen spinach
-some green beans
-about 2 cups of small red beans (previously cooked from dry and frozen)
-dry herbs from the garden (parsley etc), and dehydrated/ground hot peppers from the garden.
-small amount of water (the corn, tomatoes, etc. gave it more liquid as it cooked)
-sea salt and pepper

So far, this was the best ever soup/stew from what ever I had on hand.  The salsa and relish added more veggies and flavor too. 

It was more like "Hobo Stew" only without meat.  The home canned herbed tomato sauce as a base for this was a good choice.  Mmmmm!

  
 

Comments

caprejan said…
How about Everything Stew, I used to make Everything Cobbler, that's what we called it. It was the same as your stew (emptying whatever) but savoury scones put over the top and baked, The kids loved it.
Unknown said…
I've done that too, although I usually add some chicken broth...
Candy C. said…
I always think the best soups and stews are the ones that we make up as we go along! I never thought about using salsa, good idea! :)
Unknown said…
It's a Mustgo Stew. Anytime I use up leftovers in the fridge..I call it a Mustgo meal..everything in the fridge must go.

It looks delish.. use salsa in my kale soup..adds a great zing.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart