Skip to main content

Chicken Succotash with Gingered Sweet Potato Toss

I'm sharing this recipe, that I found in a November/December 2010 issue of Clean Eating (so I am very behind in reading through magazines I bought at a library sale many moons ago.....).  I did look on-line but the recipe was not on Clean Eating's site.  So here you are.

It's a penny pinching recipe too!  

Chicken Succotash
With Gingered Sweet-Potato Toss

4 4-oz boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
8 oz. green beans, trimmed and rinsed
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped into 1-inch cubes
3 cloves garlic, sliced into thin rounds
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 tsp. ground ginger
8 oz. frozen corn
Pinch sea Salt
Sweet Paprika, to taste
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste.

One:  Remove any visible fat from chicken, cut breasts into 1-inch cubes, and set aside.

Two: Fill 2 medium pots halfway with water and bring to a boil.  Add beans to 1 pot and turn heat down to medium.  Simmer beans for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.  Add potatoes to second pot, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 8 minutes; drain and set aside.

Three: In a small nonstick pan, saute garlic in 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-low heat for 2 minutes.  Add ginger and cook for 1 more minute, then remove from heat immediately.  In a small bowl, mash garlic-ginger mixture with a fork until it's a smooth paste.  With same fork, stir paste into potatoes.  Chop cooled beans into 1 inch pieces.

Four: Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.  When oil is just beginning to sizzle, add chicken and saute for 3 minutes.  Add green  beans and corn and continue to cook for another 2 minutes (The chicken will finish cooking by method of poaching, thanks to the liquid from the vegetables).

Five: Using a slotted spoon, lift vegetable-chicken mixture from pan, letting liquid drain out, and place 1 cup mixture onto each of 4 plates.  Season with salt, paprika, and pepper.  Serve alongside 1/2 cup potatoes.


NOTE:  I did not slice my garlic.  I simply minced it and it worked fine.  I used organic chicken of course, and corn and beans we blanched over the summer and froze.  

Taste?  Well, we thought the main dish was bland in taste, so I minced garlic into it while it was finished cooking (chicken, bean, corn mixture).  You may want to taste test and season with your favorite spices/herbs. I did not measure my corn, I simply pulled a bag that I froze and used all of it.  Same with the beans.


However, my kids devoured this and ate all of their sweet potatoes!  That's a bonus for budget meal, and being able to provide a very healthy meal too.

It is a lot of stove-top cooking, but worth it.     
 

         

Comments

Candy C. said…
Yum, that sounds delicious! I'm always looking for recipes that use sweet potatoes because they are so good for you and tasty too! :)
P.S. Did you see that Nancy made us a button for the Dark Days Challenge? It's on her blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart