Skip to main content

Breaking out my Apron for Some Good Old-Fashioned Baking


I was reading over a Christmas book that I purchased at a Goodwill store many years ago (for $.99). I came across this recipe that looked worth trying.  I think it is a pretty tasty side version of a bread roll, but healthier, and baked like a muffin.


Wheat-Corn Muffins
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 organic eggs, beaten
1 1/3 cups organic milk
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds

In a bowl stir together whole wheat flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt.   

 In a separate bowl combine eggs, milk, honey, oil, and onion.  Add all at once to the dry mixture.  Stir until moistened.  Batter will be thin.

Spoon into lined muffin pans, filling paper liners (See Note) about 2/3 full.  Sprinkle tops with sunflower seeds.

Bake in a 400°F oven for about 18-20 minutes.  This makes about 1 1/2 dozen muffins. 

(Source:  Adapted from  the Better Homes and Gardens Treasury of Christmas Crafts and Foods, © 1980, ISBN: 0-696-00025-3)

I think this recipe could qualify under the dark days challenge - our whole wheat flour and cornmeal comes from a local mill, our honey is local as well, and the eggs came from our chickens.  This also challenges me to grow more onions and dehydrate more, for recipes like this.

Note: These muffins do stick to paper liners.  I highly suggest a non-stick spray in a good muffin pan, or lining with parchment paper instead.

Comments

Carolyn said…
Sounds like a great muffin to have with some chili!
Michelle said…
This sounds like a great recipe for a quick roll for dinner.
Candy C. said…
Those sound really good and healthy too! I read that you can spray the paper liners with nonstick spray to help with muffins that tend to stick a bit.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart