Skip to main content

Mug Rug for the Football Fanatic ~ Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili


The pattern is really for a place-mat, but I call it a mug/snack rug for a football fan.  I just finished one for a Christmas present for hubby.  These look pretty nice when they are finished.

The pattern can be found at
Crochet n' Crafts.  However, at row 9, be sure you switch colors.  It states CA (color A) twice (should read CB), and it slipped right past me.  I crocheted all the way to the end of the first half, without realizing it.

My plan was to make 2 and sew them into a pillow, but I like this as it is.  I did do more research and located a pillow pattern at CrochetKim.com.  I may make one yet.


As for the Black bean and Sweet Potato Chilli, we devoured it.  I wish I had doubled it.  I was searching for new crockpot recipes that I could utilize organic ingredients.

The chili is actually a vegetarian chili, and contains no meat at all.  

Here's what I did to change up the recipe:

- I used 1 carton of organic beef broth  and drained (and rinsed) the cans of beans (next time I will cook up from dry beans to avoid that metal can taste).

-I added a second sweet potato, and extra garden green peppers.

-I added about 1/2 teaspoon of homemade ground organic cayenne for more heat.  

Don't forget the toppings they suggest on the recipe.  This was fabulous.  I have been wanting to add more sweet potatoes to our diet, and this was perfect.  I didn't get a photo, as there was nothing left to photograph.  Yum! 


 


 

Comments

This soups sounds good to me...but can't justify making it; as I'm the only one who likes sweet potatoes.
:(
I'm going to check the link for the recipe and decide if I can make it anyway...and slip it into a buffet without EVERYONE knowing. :)

...I pinned your football mat to my homemade Christmas board!
--Pat
Candy C. said…
CUTE mug rug!!
I would like to add more sweet potatoes to our diet too, they are just soooo good for you!!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart