Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, November 2, 2012

Mug Rug for the Football Fanatic ~ Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili


The pattern is really for a place-mat, but I call it a mug/snack rug for a football fan.  I just finished one for a Christmas present for hubby.  These look pretty nice when they are finished.

The pattern can be found at
Crochet n' Crafts.  However, at row 9, be sure you switch colors.  It states CA (color A) twice (should read CB), and it slipped right past me.  I crocheted all the way to the end of the first half, without realizing it.

My plan was to make 2 and sew them into a pillow, but I like this as it is.  I did do more research and located a pillow pattern at CrochetKim.com.  I may make one yet.


As for the Black bean and Sweet Potato Chilli, we devoured it.  I wish I had doubled it.  I was searching for new crockpot recipes that I could utilize organic ingredients.

The chili is actually a vegetarian chili, and contains no meat at all.  

Here's what I did to change up the recipe:

- I used 1 carton of organic beef broth  and drained (and rinsed) the cans of beans (next time I will cook up from dry beans to avoid that metal can taste).

-I added a second sweet potato, and extra garden green peppers.

-I added about 1/2 teaspoon of homemade ground organic cayenne for more heat.  

Don't forget the toppings they suggest on the recipe.  This was fabulous.  I have been wanting to add more sweet potatoes to our diet, and this was perfect.  I didn't get a photo, as there was nothing left to photograph.  Yum! 


 


 

2 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

This soups sounds good to me...but can't justify making it; as I'm the only one who likes sweet potatoes.
:(
I'm going to check the link for the recipe and decide if I can make it anyway...and slip it into a buffet without EVERYONE knowing. :)

...I pinned your football mat to my homemade Christmas board!
--Pat

Candy C. said...

CUTE mug rug!!
I would like to add more sweet potatoes to our diet too, they are just soooo good for you!!