Skip to main content

Salsa Party ~It's Fiesta Time ~ Preserving Continues


We had a Salsa Party, to taste all four of the salsa recipes I canned this year.  The Peach Salsa recipe used a small amount of honey. 


 Flan
Baked with farm fresh eggs
Home Canned  Salsa and  Chips (above)



Home grown tomatoes and onions (left)
 
For the Salsa party we made taco salad and homemade Caramel Flan.  The meat was seasoned with homemade dry taco seasoning mix, and we tried my homemade canned taco sauce.  It was delicious.  We'll be canning more of that too.  I also made corn pudding in the crock pot.   We filled a tray with cookies that were made in Mexico.  Yum! 

I didn't have a round baking dish to bake the flan, but it turned out perfect.  It looks intimidating to make, so this was a bit of a challenge for me. Especially, after a long week of stocking up.

We also got the kids a pinata filled with goodies, and made mock margaritas.

Last year we had a Pickle Party, to taste all four types of pickles I canned.

The preserving and stocking up continues.  Next year it will be more work - canning more in a pressure canner and canning meats (home raised), soups, and other vegetables.


I canned another 2 1/2 quarts of seasoned tomato sauce and another 10 half pint jars of pear jam (23 lbs of tomatoes).  


I canned 6 more half pints of ketchup (10 lbs of tomatoes) and 5 more pints of Fiesta Salsa (maybe 3 1/2 lbs of tomatoes).

I froze another quart bag of tomatoes.



I canned 5 half pints of homemade taco sauce (6 lbs of tomatoes), and 4 more pints of sweet pickle relish.

I canned 6 half pints of hot pepper jelly.


Comments

EMMA said…
Where do you get your energy!!! you are amazing! that salsa party looks so yummy.
Candy C. said…
I love the idea of a salsa party, what fun!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart