Skip to main content

Homemade Deodorant and Slip-Sliding Down Project Runway....

My first granny square scarf.  I had fun with this and plan to make another one for gifting.   This one went to the same daughter, that this hat (another finished project)....


went to.  And then I finished. . . 


Another hat for another daughter.  They love these hats.

I made my first batch of homemade deodorant.  There are many recipes out there, and after I made this one, it was recommended to add Thyme oil to kill off any bacteria (same with Tea Tree Oil).  This recipe required 6-8 Tbsp. coconut oil (melt to measure), 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (you can use corn starch, but I read that it can clog pores), and 1-2 drops of essential oil.  I had lavender on hand, so I used that.  The more coconut oil, the harder your deodorant is.  I did use the 8 Tbsp. to give this a try, but may cut back on the oil for the next batch.  The real test will come this summer when I'm sweating up a storm in the garden.  

This will cost us less, contains no aluminum or other cancer causing chemicals, and lasts a lot longer than deodorant purchased in stores.


Yesterday, I brought back an old tradition - Punch Bowl Friday.  On a special Friday of my choice (during the school year), I surprise the kids with a new punch made in the punch bowl, along with after school snacks.  This one was Apple Orchard Punch.  I meant to slice apple rings for this, but did not have any apples that day.  It's just a fun way to spruce of the end of a loooong school week the kids may have had.

Comments

Kim said…
I have used this same recipe and I added the tea tree oil and I used 2 drops of lemon oil.
Michelle said…
Let me know how the deodorant worked. Love the punch idea. We don't drink soda,so this is a way to add more flavored drinks to our home.
Candy C. said…
The scarf and hats are very cute! Love the colors!
I will be curious to see how your deodorant works, let us know!
EMMA said…
This may sound a bit dumb but how do you use the deodorant - does it stay liquid or does it solidify? Love the yellow colour of the hat and I think i'll give the punch a try; can't get cranberry concentrate here so i'll just have to use juice.
Love the colours in your hats. Sure cheers up the winter! The DO recipe looks interesting. Must give it a try, only coconut oil is $$$$
Nancy Jo said…
You sure o keep busy. Cute hat, looks nice and cozy.
You can come and go thrifting with me any time! Plenty in the store for both of us.
Nancy Jo
Emma, the deodorant goes back to a solid after I melt the oil to measure, and mix in the ingredients. I have been told that hot weather will melt it, so I will need to put it in the fridge to keep it solid in very hot months.
labbie1 said…
I had the question of how to apply it as well. How does one apply that deodorant? I am interested to see how it goes this summer. Do keep us updated!

Love the scarf and hats. Such bright colors for winter have to make you smile!

Love the idea for the punch for the kids to brighten their week. Great idea!
Just rub the deodorant with your fingertips and apply it. I may look for refillable (BPA free) deodorant dispensers if we end up making this a lot.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart