Skip to main content

Homemade Baking Mix ~ Vintage Hairbrush Set ~ Sneak Peek at Shadow Box

The last couple of days we have had a thin layer of snow each morning.  The problem is that it's over a layer of rain that froze, melted and froze again.  The school closed yesterday and today they have a 2 hour delay.  


I mixed up my first batch of "baking mix" that will be stored in those two containers you see in the photo.  Last year my Uncle gifted us with some dishes and those containers have been very useful.  The mix will be used to do baking with, and to see if it's useful for us (in saving money).  I am a whole wheat flour kind of person, so this is a real test for us.  If you haven't seen Candy's blog, this recipe can be found here:  Lazy J Bar C Farm.

I'm starting to work on my "family history" projects (in teeny tiny steps), and remembered that Mom gave me her mirror and hand brush set last year.  This set was given to her in 1956 for my Grand parents.  It is completely unused and in perfect condition.  The question now is, use them or store them?  Honestly, they are so pretty, that I may be using them.  What a treasure these items are.  The box can be used as a jewelry box, but it's been a wee bit smashed in over the years.   It has a lock and key on it, and lined with red velvet. 

Yesterday I posted about possibly framing my Grandma's 1924 Valentine in a shadow box.....and I did.  Here is a sneak peek at the quilling that I have started for the upper two corners.  Behind it is old wall paper.  I am using an acid free scrapbooking adhesive to attach the card and envelope.  I was actually considering cutting the writing from the envelope, but kept it whole.  Just this much quilling took about 1 1/2 hours.  I'll update it when I have it finished.

Comments

Carolyn said…
That hair brush set is beautiful! I'd be hard pressed NOT to use it. And your quilling is just as beautiful...can't wait to see the finished project.
Candy C. said…
I agree with Carolyn Renee, love the old hairbrush set AND your quilling!
I hope ya'll like the Baking Mix! You could try using half whole wheat flour next time you make it. I did try that once but didn't like the results as well; although, I don't remember why! LOL!! Make sure you do a search on my blog for "Baking Mix" for lots of recipes.
Candy,
I've already printed off "Monster Cookies" - he he!
Unknown said…
I made the baking mix too, and found it a little bit too salty (IMO). Works great though, for a fast batch of goodies. I used her choclate chip cookie recipe with that, I would just add more brown sugar next time...
labbie1 said…
Psssst... I always so enjoy your blog so I tagged you...come on over and play! http://garrettsquared.blogspot.com/2012/01/tagyoure-it.html?showComment=1328056384552#c4842182774685935615

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart