Skip to main content

Chopped and other updates. . .

We've been watching the "Chopped" Foodnetwork show, and the kids love it.  Last night our 12 year-old begged for her own box of food to cook with.

We gave her 2 boxes of black wild rice, a jar of pimentos and a bag of mini-marshmallows.  I had no idea what to get, or how creative she could be.

She cooked the rice, added the pimentos and added leftover diced chicken we had that she marinated a bit in soy sauce.

She made a dessert with the mini-marshmallows and crushed rice chex cereal.  She added raisins also.  It kind of tasted like rice krispie treats, but tougher to chew.  She did pretty good.

I think they had so much fun with this that I may purchase items for her and her younger sister for another round.

Gus came home late afternoon yesterday.  He's doing good and getting lots of pampering.  He follows my son everywhere now.  The vet told my son that the growth/lump was very deep, black and very nasty looking.  My son agreed to have it tested in a lab, so we will know for sure.  However, my son felt another lump in another area, so he'll be watching that too.  Thank you for all you prayers for Gus.

The weather is a teensy bit warmer, and we got more snow last night.  The pipes finally thawed by late evening last night - YAY! We get showers!


Although yarn and quilling paper has arrived in my mail, I continue to knit and crochet daily.  I am amazed how fast I can knit know compared to last summer.  I can remember days where I could not knit when the kids were home.  I literally had to take entire knitted block apart, because I lost track of rows and stitches.  I'm not an expert at it, but much better.  Now, when I get back to tatting, I'll probably have to re-teach myself again.  Ha ha ha!

 A recent sunrise from my front porch.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a fun idea, Kristina! We enjoy that program, too--perhaps I will try the "box" with a few of my children. It would be a great chance to clean out the pantry a bit (haha) and they would LOVE it!

Have a lovely Saturday.
I STILL want to learn to TAT and haven't gotten on that yet. But, surprisingly I have picked up knitting needles and am trying my hand at that instead. It's a work in progress. I think I'd like to make some socks. Everyone says knitted socks are the best?!
So that is my goal to knit a pair of socks.
...and learn to TAT.

Off topic- I noticed you removed the link to your store. I also took mine down. Didn't do anything with it. Am thinking maybe Etsy. How about you? Are you thinking of going that route?
just curious, as I didn't see your store link anymore.

take care- Pat
I've heard of the tv show "Chopped" I like to watch The Pioneer Woman and Diners, DRive-Ins and Dives on The Food Network :) :) I'm glad Gus is doing better :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)
Pat, I still have the store, but have not gotten any business from it. I may try Etsy, but I'd like to build up my items first. It's hard with a large household and so many responsibilities.
Unknown said…
Glad Gus is home, always stressful for pets to be away. Good for your girl cooking! Have them help with meals, then do a dinner once in a while! My girls are really glad I taught them the basics now that they have their own place. Real cooking, not microwaving :) And taught them basic sewing, like hemming and sewing on buttons...
Candy C. said…
Your version of Chopped sounds like fun!
I'm glad Gus is home but sorry to hear there is another lump. :(
Thanks for the picture of the sunrise, very pretty!
labbie1 said…
Beautiful sunset!

Love the Chopped box idea. Sounds like the girls are going to be good cooks!

Hope Gus gets well...

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart