Skip to main content

Bringing in the New Year ~ Out with the Old

As I sit here and reflect on this year, I think about all the experiences I had, as well as my family.


 I fed my family weeds. 

 I learned to stock up more of my garden and invested in a dehydrator. 
Took one weekend getaway with hubby and no kids.

 Took some kids camping. 

Glamped the camper for the first time.
Completed many craft/handiwork projects. 

 Built things with the family.  

 Took a Hearthside cooking class with my oldest daughter. 

 Learn to shoot a gun.




 Bought dairy goats.



Bought more goats.

Watched my daughter buy her horse.


Added more layers to our chicken coop.

Raised our own meat chickens.

Got snowed in and had fun in the snow.

Sent one daughter to see Washington, D.C. for the her first time.

Added new flowers to my flower beds.

Built my first scarecrow.

Baked homemade bread.

Watched many sunrises.

Watched many sunsets.

Watched the moon.

Made the garden larger this year.

Taught myself how to knit.

Taught myself how to do needle tatting.

Participated in National Novel Writing Month for the second year.

Planted redbud trees from a seed.

Thanks for reading this long blog post of reflections.  There was a lot more too!  Happy New Year!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Such lovely projects! Happy New Year!
Candy C. said…
What a fun way to look back at the year!! Happy New Year to you and your family!
what a wonderful year! Congratulations.
My goodness...
some of those posts... I didn't even read about!

I must go read the archives; it all sounds so interesting!

Can't wait to read everything you do in the new year!

Pat
CeeJay said…
Thanks for sharing Kristi!
Reflections are always good things to remind us of God's grace, strength, mercy, love and provision!
CJ
Happy New Year! I really enjoy reading your blog. Your taking delight in the simple things of life and the lost art of keeping home and hearth are refreshing to read and a boon to my own spirit! Thank you! God bless you and your family!

"A capable, intelligent, and virtuous woman....She is far more precious than jewels...She looks well to how things go in her household...Her children rise up and call her blessed...and her husband boasts and praises her..." Proverbs 31:10,27,28
Unknown said…
Great blog post! Good for you doing new things and being more self-sufficient... you inspire me :)
labbie1 said…
Wow! A busy and fruitful year!

You actually raised redbuds from seeds????

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart