Skip to main content

Applesauce Cake with Molasses ~ Deer Hunding Update

I went searching for a cake using my homemade applesauce, and one that also used molasses.  

 I doubled this Spiced Applesauce Cake Recipe, and baked it in a 9 x 13 inch pan.  The family loved it.  It's a very dense cake and can be eaten with hands too (kid tested).  It could use a layer of frosting for a tea party or coffee gathering, and is perfect for packing in school lunches.


 I was surprised that there was any left this morning.  In fact, the kids ate a piece for their breakfast.  Yum!

The men were unsuccessful in bringing in a deer yesterday.  However, they got permission to work the woods in which the deer ran into yesterday.  Today is a different story.  The rain and wind make it very difficult to hunt, and they are already stopping for a while.  Maybe they can go back out later.  It would be nice to have meat in the freezer for winter.

With snow in the forecast, we'll be stocking our porch with a load of cut firewood later.  I can hear the wind whistling inside the house.

Comments

Kim said…
That cakes looks delish. And if I am not mistaken that plate has a pig under the cake....lol. I have those dishes as well! We bagged a deer as well and I am canning mine later today. I just have trouble trusting my freezer with power outages.
Candy C. said…
I love molasses and I'm always looking for ways to use my homemade applesauce! In fact, today I made up a batch of the Applesauce BBQ Sauce you mentioned the other day and it is really good (I didn't use as much sugar as the orginal recipe called for)! It's going on baked meatballs for supper!
You guys stay warm!!
Anna said…
Hi now that looks yummy! My husband is a hunter too. He didn't get anything either.One more day for him then he is back to work.The weather here in millbrook NY has been unusually warm for this time of year.Take care-Anna

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart