Skip to main content

Woot Woot!

You know you are a farmgirl, when you find wild chicory growing on your very own property!  And you get really excited about it.  He he he!  My kids, and my husband, just think I'm plain nuts.
I need to find out what that red weed is.  I'll have to look in my books and on-line to find out what it is.  I'm just tickled pink to find wild chicory on the property - chemical free.  Woo hoo!  It's only one plant, but one is better than none.  

Now I just need to research how to make the coffee from it.

Oh...he he...that photo was taken today in a garden that had zucchini and melons.  We had so much rain that it killed the zucchini and rotted almost all of the melons.  That garden now looks like a weed patch.

Comments

Wow that is cool. I've heard of chicory. But don't know too much about it.
Homemade coffee sounds like a good idea.

I must do some research.
We call it Chickweed here. I love it too. That makes two nuts! I love the colour. I always wanted a dress made of that colour. Ever tried to pull the Chickweed out the ground? To cut the stems with your bare hands? Hard as heck! Anyway best wishes with the coffee thing. I think about doing that just like the natives....but really I hate coffee...so why bother?
Candy C. said…
Good thing YOU know what it is, I would be lost! :)
Kim said…
That is neat. I rememeber my grandparents drinking a hot drink made from chickory to replace the morning coffee. Because they said coffee was to expensive!!!
The 3 Foragers said…
I also see some foxtail grass, the seeds are edible, I cook it with polenta for extra crunch. You could pound it with a pestle to grind it smaller. The red weed is maybe related to millet or lamb's quarter? These are wonderful grasslands you live in!
Yes! That chicory is harder than heck to pull out of the ground. And for the tip on foxtail grass, thank you! I had no idea. That is very good to know.
Anonymous said…
The red guy is Amaranth. We have it in our garden here. there are many different varieties but this one looks like the less ornamental one, the seeds are edible!!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart