Skip to main content

Unwelcome Guests

Wolf Spider

Grass Spider

We get both of these types of spiders in our house.  Every time we come across one we call my son, who rescues it.  However, today, the grass spider got the shoe.  I had to borrow a photo on-line to show you what they look like.  They are not small either.

I went to make my bed this morning and one was curled up in my bed covers.  The difference between the two spiders, is that the grass spider can crawl up things - ewwww is right.
The other day, we discussed this, and I said to my 12 year old daughter, "just imagine what's in your clothes when you put them on."

"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! she cried.

I killed one the other day on the bedroom floor too.  We are getting more than we'd like inside this year.  I hope that's not a sign that we will have a hard winter.  

I guess I better be cleaning down any spider webs there may be in here.  Sheesh.  I opened a tool drawer and there was one in there too.

I guess it's that time of year where we need to check the insides of our shoes, boots and slippers, and shake out the blankets and clothes. 

Comments

Candy C. said…
Yeah, I've noticed more spiders in the house recently too. They usually get the shoe around here, nobody is brave enough to rescue them!
I've read that HORSE APPLES (or hedge apples, or osage orange...different names according to region)
anyway, I read that if you put them in the cupboards and around your porch and house it keeps the spiders away.

I actually saw some lying under the Bois d'arc tree the other day and thought I should bring them up for the same reason. We have some spiders in our utility room and back portion of our house.

Have you heard this? Or tried it?
I thought we have had more then the normal amount of spiders all summer long. I am forever shop vacuuming them up.
Anonymous said…
I found a couple editing errors. (tsk, tsk*) And how dare you kill that poor harmless spider. What if he/she had children?? Hmm?? Now they'll become orphans and have to live in some castle with an evil stepmother. What were you thinking you crazy lady?? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart