Skip to main content

Organic Farm Tour

We just got back from touring Lindsey Graham's Organic Farm.  He 100% grass feeds and pasture feeds his animals.  
Meet "Ruby" the Farm watchdog.  Hazel is around our feet, where you can't see her, and getting some lovin'.


Here are two heritage breed hogs.  These are gilts, and the one in the back is due to give birth soon.


Here, owner Lindsey Graham, shows us around the pasture.  He explained how to properly grass feed the cattle, and move them from one area to another.  Here is shows us a "tractor" used to house the turkeys.  We ordered our Thanksgiving turkey today also.


Here are the cattle, which preferred to remain inside due to the heat today.


Here is a close up of a turkey.  They are being moved from their coop to out in the pasture today, according to the owner.  They look a lot like a meat chicken, but with a longer neck.


Graham Farms/Omega Meats, offered us this free tour, and insists that his customers come out as well.  I went home with 2 lbs. of his bacon.  I can't wait to taste it.  I guess the pork tenderloin is so good, and has the perfect balance of good fat, that I have to be put on a waiting list for a few.  


It was nice for another farmgirl friend to join us in our tour.  We later visited The Ludwig Mill, and General Store.  We sat in rockers on the front porch and cooled off with some Italian ice and ice cream.
The scene from the porch was so relaxing and beautiful.

While leaving, we watched the canal boat pull in.





The canal boat is pulled by mules, alongside on land.

The ride there and back, through the countryside, was also relaxing.  We saw many photo opportunities and actually stopped once to photograph this old barn.

If you look in the center area of the photo, we were greeted by goats, that suddenly appeared after we stopped.

Comments

Unknown said…
Great pics! You should make a calendar! Do you have some photos of your home somewhere here? I'd love to see your home, garden, pastures, etc. I want a little farm someday, sigh...
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candy C. said…
What a fun day! I bet those silly goats were looking for a handout! LOL!!
Karen said…
Lovely pics. There's just something about getting back to nature and doing it the old fashioned way that really speaks to me. Thanks for sharing......and I'm going to look up the recipe for the confetti muffins while I'm here - my daughter loves to bake!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart