Skip to main content

Frugal Family Fun ~ Hot Days Here Today

I started the day off by watering our gardens and picking lettuce.  The lettuce will be made into salads for this very hot day today.  I'm so glad we plant a garden.  It saves us so much money, and provides a healthier meal as well.  We also picked some fresh home grown strawberries.
The weather today is up in the high 90's, but feels like 100°.  It is not even comfortable to sit in the porch either.  The kids found something fun to do.  I may have to join them.


They are painting pictures, while sprawled out on the cool kitchen floor.

I found another way to cut our costs down.  Without a pattern, I crocheted a two sided scrubber.  I bought the thin green scrubbers, and cut them in half.  I crocheted into the scrubber, then crocheted an all cotton side for the opposite side and stitched them together.  
We won't be wasting our money on sponge/scrubbers any more.  
I didn't have a pattern, but if this holds up during it's test run in the kitchen, I'll see about writing one out.

Which reminds me, I need to make more of these:
Our last one was just plain worn out already.  These make nice gifts also, so I better watch for store sales on the netting.

Comments

Bren said…
oh i love those net scrubby things.. can you tell me what size crochet hook you use to make them?
The pattern is in one of MaryJane's Farm books. I think it's in the Stitching book. I'll have to check.
fairykin said…
Those scrubbies are so cool.
You are so creative.
Candy C. said…
Your green scrubbie project turned out wonderful! Hope you post some instructions. I also make and use the net scrubbies from the MJF Stitching book, aren't they great!?!
I am on day 2 of using the green srubbie. So for, it's working great.

Popular posts from this blog

New Recipe Tried and other Bits

  I tried a new granola recipe and boy it's good.  First, it's a recipe from Mennonite Girls and Cook, and called "Backpack Snacks" online.  It calls for granola, so I used my homemade granola that we love.  Picture is the dry ingredients. Second, I pressed the final mixture into a 9 x 9, parchment lined baking dish instead of rolling it into balls.  The color of these photos are all different, because of the time of day, and how dark the house was from the thick Canadian smoke that was still outside at the time. These cut very nicely, and were very good, straight from the refrigerator.  It was hard to eat just one of them.  I will be making this again, and switching out the peanuts with walnuts, and switching out the raisins with dates.  Oh my!  The binder is honey and peanut butter. These are perfect for your hiking days, camping, your grandkids, or just for snacks when you want one. The rain arrived thank goodness, and washed the smoke in...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...