Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, October 25, 2010

Curtain from Jeans


I started to sew a curtain from old jeans.  The squares I am cutting are 10 x 10 inches.  I am making 5 squares wide by 8 rows long.  This curtain will help keep winter air from coming into the house via the garage.  It's heavy so it should help keep the air in the garage when anyone opens the door connected to the house.  It's hard to explain how it's built and how I'll be using it, but the dimensions will pretty much fit a doorway or the size of a half-shower.  I'll post the link to the directions on the S.C.R.A.P. blog for another way to recycle jeans.  The photo above shows one strip sewed together and a few cut squares.  This is the first time I have used a quilting pattern or used my rotary cutter.


This was not the easiest project to do for my first quilting project, considering most of the jeans were made from a stretch cotton.

I have small pieces leftover, so I am sure I will have to be creative and come up with another project.  One that is useful possibly.

Here is an update after cutting and sewing for 3 hours

I may not get the entire curtain done this winter, unless I have more old, ripped, jeans in the garage.  I like the 10 x 10 inch pattern.  I probably could have utilized the jeans more by cutting smaller squares, but this will do.  Not bad for my first time quilting.

Mom would be proud that the old sewing machine is still working.

1 comment:

Miss Val's Creations said...

I love this! A great way to recycle old blue jeans. I imagine these would be great at keeping out the draft as well!