Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Mother's Day ~ Flower Beds ~ Arnica

Happy Mother's Day to all of you!  This wine glass was a gift from my oldest daughter.  As you can see the "birthday celebration" continues.  That was taken at 3pm yesterday, where I planted myself in my porch rocker, and read my "on and off again" book while waiting for Hubby to arrive home (after working a double shift).

Today I'll most likely spend it weeding out the rest of my flower beds.  I spent all morning and early afternoon in them yesterday.  I am prepping them for spring time annual planting, and will hopefully be planting my zinnia seeds and gladiolas.
 

In our parts, we wait for Mother's Day to pass, before we plant the rest of the vegetable garden.  There is still a risk for frost until the end of May, but I hope we are done. I need to till yet before planting, and we are waiting a few more days to allow the ground to dry up.  It's very wet here yet.

I sort of enjoy the "Mother's Day" planting rule.  It gives me time to clean out the beds and get them looking nice.  I take pride in my flowers and love to enjoy them while enjoying the porch. 

If you follow my blog, you know what the raccoons did to my potted herbs last spring.  This year I didn't give up, but started a select few indoors.  My arnica seeds are sprouting now.  I may sow a few more seeds outdoors.  I'll wait and see what seeds I currently have.  This one is new to the herb garden.  I'm excited to get it replanted outdoors. 

I didn't have to cook dinner last night.  And although Hubby worked a double shift, he took me on a motorcycle ride over to another graduation party - lots of food.  We have a grad party almost every weekend now.  I hope I get my own house ready for our daughter's party.

4 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I still go by my 'northern roots' planting on Memorial Day weekend which was a long weekend and I worked full time so it was perfect. I'm still planting here and seeding. Love your glass and your 'porch sitting'. It's hard to 'sit'....I even hung out a load of laundry yesterday....I can't help myself! LOL!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I had a long day in the garden yesterday, and sitting was well deserved (lol!) I am in so much pain this morning.

RB said...

Our weekend was quiet. We met with our middle sister for a cafeteria lunch on my birthday. We don't have any cafeterias in the tiny town where we live, so going to her larger city nearby to eat in one was a very special treat.
I pray everyone has a truly great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you RB, I pray you have a great week as well.