Skip to main content

Red Lentil Hummus

(the photo in the magazine article makes this appear more red than mine turned out)

I found this recipe (our snack) in the December 2012 issue of Health Magazine.  However, they also have it on-line, so I don't have to type out the recipe:  Red-Lentil Hummus.


Hubby and I love hummus made from chickpeas and wanted to try this one.  I finally made it.  I could not find red lentils in our stores here, so it was another item we picked up on one of our weekend trips (it was sold bulk in a Nature store).

I am sure you can buy them on-line as well, but it sure helps when you can buy your ingredients locally.

Aside from that, this recipe is very good.  Give it a try if you like hummus, and if you want to add more lentils to your diet. 

Note: After chilling this, the color was a teensy bit more red.

My family (those that enjoy hummus) raved over this recipe.  They enjoyed it more than my regular hummus recipe that uses chickpeas.    

Comments

MagnoliaWhisper said…
Sounds delicious. I don't know if you have Krogers where you live. But, here the Kroger Marketplaces (very very very large Krogers), have bulk bins in the "health" food section, and always have red lentils there. Otherwise I too have to go to "health" stores, to get the red lentils. I am not sure what the deal is with ALL regular grocery stores only selling the ugly gray ones in a 1 lb bag.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart