Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 4, 2011

Eating Weeds

"You're feeding us weeds??!!" screamed my husband.

"Yep."

Here are photos of the milkweed flower buds after I boiled them.
 For the recipe:  Crustless Milkweed Flower Quiche

 Just before it went into the oven
After this went into the oven, I found out I may want to coarsely chop the buds.  That will be for the next time.

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

Hmmm, they look kinda like peas! Tell us, how did it taste and what did your husband think?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

He's been bragging to people what I've been up to lately. Ha ha ha! It really didn't have much of a taste to them. I mostly tasted the eggs and cheese. I make an egg quiche with chilies and cottage cheese, so we loved the texture.

The 3 Foragers said...

We don't snip theflower buds apart like that. I cook the whole cluster like a broccoli flowerette, then coarsely chop the cluster. Ot is much easier to just cook up the whole cluster, I would be afraid I would lose all the flower buds otherwise!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks for the advice. I will have to keep making this now, and follow your directions on keeping them in clusters, then chop them. I have purchased a book on foraging also.