Skip to main content

Whiskey Butterscotch Sauce

Hubby's birthday is coming up soon, and has put in a request for flourless brownies, topped with organic vanilla ice cream, and of course whiskey butterscotch sauce.  

I whipped up a batch of sauce before the weekend, so I could have that ready.  Not sure what the birthday dinner will entail just yet, but I'll be guessing he'll ask for tacos.  Maybe. 


I make it with organic/non-gmo corn syrup.  The above photo is the only brand I am able to purchase here.   And organic heavy cream (the only organic cream I can buy in stores here).


And of course with my homemade vanilla extract.  All ingredients are organic, with some being made, some purchased. Aside from whiskey and salt.

You start by adding 1 1/2 cups of packed light brown sugar to a medium saucepan.  Add 1/4 cup water, 1/3 cup light corn syrup, 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter and 1 tsp. salt.  Note:  Original recipe calls for "flaky sea salt" but I am unable to find it in our stores, so salt is what I have used and so far works fine.

Heat the ingredients until the sugar is dissolved (I used slightly lower than medium heat), add 3/4 cup heavy cream.  Simmer until it thickens.  I set my timer for 12 minutes, and when it beeps I put a tiny amount of sauce on a plate and let it cool a minute (to check it's thickness).  If it's ready, add 3 Tbsp. whiskey, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract.  Simmer 3 more minutes and remove from heat.  I allow it to cool for 30-40 minutes in the pan, then pour into 2 half-pint jars and 1 - 4 oz. jar.  I have, in the past, poured it into the jars to cool vs. in the pan as well.  When cool, add lids/rims and refrigerate.  This will last one month.

Note:  Remove from the refrigerator a few minutes before serving.  It will be too thick otherwise.  Let it warm up a bit.   

  

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Your husband's whole birthday dinner sounds just wonderful. When should we be there? ;o}
Sam I Am...... said…
Wish him a happy birthday for me! Remember I told you Walmart was starting to carry some organics...well, they stopped and I asked them why and they said no one was buying it. Sad but true here....that's why I don't eat out here....not healthy at all! I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to get organic now so I guess I'll save up so I can go and stock up! You're very fortunate. Another reason I want to move back North.
RB said…
Lord, that sounds good.
Yum - Enjoy!!!
God bless.
RB
<><
Mama Pea, I can't wait to have just the butterscotch sauce. We only have it about once a year, ha ha!
Sam I Am, I stopped shopping at Walmart when ours quit carrying organic food too. They stopped selling organic coffee completely and put in a ton of those cup coffee machine refills. However, I noticed another store started selling organic beef.
RB, it is good, and pretty easy to make too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart