Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Snowflake Dishcloth ~ Random Tidbits

Because I just can't stand having only one project going on at one time (and crocheting an umpteenth granny square can become monotonous), and to let the month go by without a "dishcloth of the month" would be a shame.....

 ....here you have it.  A snowflake dishcloth for January.  Honestly, this should be the "icon" for our February here.  We get the most snow that month.

The comfrey poultice I made for my elbow (using dry comfrey and warm water), really helped.  However, I'll need to do it one more time, and that's all I have in the way of comfrey.  I will really save up more this coming summer.  I will just have to refrain from push-ups (oh darn) and anything unnecessary.


My 19 year-old and I made a road trip yesterday.   I selfishly asked her to drive so I could knit (tee hee).  It was to see her financial advisor at the new college.  I tell ya' these people have a way with encouraging one to go into debt without even realizing it.  Or they encourage the parents to take out numerous loans.

Anyway, if she can get a job and save up the first quarter cost by the end of February, she can start classes again in March.  She's now going to a college to her a certificate to become a veterinarian technician.  Otherwise, she'll be working all summer and then starting in August.  She's had one interview with a dog kennel business and has a second one this week.  It's good pay and it's in the line of work she wants to do too.  She's also been applying for other jobs, in hopes to have two to help pay her way through college (without more loans).


Her loans for taking a semester at her past college are pretty much a waste.  Only one class she took, can transfer credits.  This is why I feel parents need to make their kids responsible for their own education (get jobs and work hard).   They change their mind often, and debt piles up.

Leaving you today with a beautiful sunrise here again.  This was yesterday's.  I took it after I had already posted.

 May today bring joy, happiness, prosperity, and love.  And answer to any problems, trials or tribulations you are going through.

11 comments:

Kim said...

I totally agree with you on the education situation. Saying a prayer for jobs to be found and money to be saved.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Kim, I wish school provided more classes in high school on finances. They are just too young to understand how much debt and pain and suffering those huge loans will cost them.

Susan said...

Kristina, you are so right. I think that schools should make a class on setting up and understanding finances mandatory for high school students. I wish I would have started in a community college myself. It would have been a much more frugal way to work through those 'ping pong' years. You and your husband are doing a very fine job as parents.

Susan said...

I forgot to mention that, thanks to your research and sharing same with us, I am going to double my comfrey crop - move it into the front yard and out of the back, where it's trampled on a regular basis by the pups.

Unknown said...

I thought you might like to read this because you already have a blog and it might keep you home.

http://www.retiredby40blog.com/2016/01/20/how-i-made-blogging-in-2015/

Mama Pea said...

The other thing about going into debt to obtain a college education is what 18 year old knows what he/she wants to go into as a vocation? Not many. I'm hoping your daughter gets the job working in a veterinary clinc so she can make sure that's what she wants to do. Plus I would think the on-the-job training would help (somehow) with the courses she has to take to get her degree.

The cost of higher education these days is to astronomical that I don't think parents, unless they are wealthy, can possibly pay for their kids to go past high school.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I grew my comfrey in a pot because I wasn't sure how fast it would spread. Ha, and here I need much more of it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Hill House, I'll take a look at that.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, she has another interview today, and it's at a dog kennel business. They already interviewed her once, and they told her on a busy day they can have up to 70 dogs there.

RB said...

The washcloth is beautiful. Before all of us children came along, our Mother made many beautiful "counterpanes" (as intricately crocheted bed toppers were called then) that she sold to the local department store. The snowflake reminds me of them.
And as for the loan advisers at the colleges, etc., I think they know EXACTLY what they're getting students into, talking them into big loans. I wouldn't be surprised to find if they get a cut of the interest earned on the loan when they put one through, although I don't know if they do or not.
I have off a few days this week...only got scheduled for Tuesday and Saturday (instead of the usual Tuesday and Thursday), so I get the same hours, but get more days to recuperate between working which will benefit this old body.
I hope everyone has a great day.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks RB, I may make a new dishcloth for each month this year, for something fun to blog about. Then I may combine them all and put them for sale for a gift idea for a wedding or someone just starting out on their own.