Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, February 2, 2023

Finishing up homemade garlic powder ~ Growing Rhubarb Question

 

Using parchment paper on my dehydrator trays makes this grinding part easier.  I push the dried garlic to the center of the paper, and lift the sides to slide it into the coffee grinder.


The jar I use fits my canning funnel, making that part easy too.  You could use a smaller funnel for smaller jars.  We use garlic a lot, so hence large jar.


I dump out the older garlic powder into a cup with spout, put the new garlic powder in first, then the older on top.  All set for another year (maybe, ha ha!).

It's not exactly a quick job.  I wash all the trays after I dehydrate, so tastes and smells do not permeate into the next dehydrated food.  I wash the coffee grinder and clean out anything that blew off the trays inside the dehydrator.


Question about rhubarb:
Our rhubarb died last year, and we were going to move it anyway.....but...

I believe someone on here bought root starts online one year.  I can only find seeds (organic, non-gmo), and our local produce stand that sold them, closed their doors.

Where can I find them online?  If not, I need to order seeds or check our garden stores here.

11 comments:

Granny_J said...

Gurneys has starts and you can also have them.

Mama Pea said...

Hi, Kristina! The current R. H. Shumway garden catalog lists two varieties of rhubarb roots. One is $14.95 per root and the other is $12.95 per root. Hope this helps.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Granny J and Mama Pea, I will look into both of those today.

Carol said...

I have never made my own garlic powder. I love Rhubarb and I was thinking of planting some this year as well.

Sandra said...

I've never grown nor bought Rhubarb roots, so I can't help you with that. The garlic powder sounds wonderful, I go through so much, maybe I need to make my own.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol we love rhubarb, but last year's heat wave killed ours. I even make a BBQ sauce with it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, if you go to the post the day prior to this one, you can see the tools I used to peel and slice the garlic. It takes a lot of garlic to make a good amount of garlic powder.

Irene said...

I started Rhubarb last year from my own seeds. hoping some of the plants make it through winter. If you want some seeds, I have tons. let me know

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Irene, thanks. If I do I will let you know.

Faith said...

I planted one last year, two they never made it. I did order one from Berlin Seeds which we will be picking up at the end of next month.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, where is that place? Is it on 62 going north off of 39 by Troyers? I've heard of it, and think I have seen it before while traveling.