Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Sweet Potatoes




I went out and dug up the remaining sweet potatoes.  The results?  We got a total of 21.7# this year.  Carrots, beets and turnips are a complete loss however.  

6 comments:

Henny Penny said...

What a sweet potato! You do so much. Wish I had your knowledge of herbs and, well, so many things. One year I grew just a few sweet potatoes in our little garden. It was fun and they did good.

Cockeyed Jo said...

That's a decent harvest of sweet potatoes! My harvest was a bit larger at 40#, but that'll do us. I'm still cutting and freezing my turnip green until after the first frost, and then I'll dig up the turnips. I'll just put them in a Styrofoam cooler and bury them in the garden. I'll pull them as needed. I'd do the same with cabbages and carrots over the winter.

Luludou said...

Good looking sweet potatoes. Too bad about the other veggies :(

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Henny Penny. I was surprised myself.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeye Jo, I was shocked we got that many due to the dry year. I could not save any turnip tops. The bugs got them this year.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks luludou