Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Rain ~ Tomato Sauce


It thankfully rained for a bit the other day.  So happy to see that.


I canned tomato sauce.  Beautiful 6 1/2 pints, but realized I dag'gon forgot the lemon juice.  I wasted 7 hard to find lids, opened the jars and froze it in freezer bags.  Sigh....at least I got the tomato sauce made this year.  Woohoo to that.


8 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

Thankfully you remembered that you had forgotten the lemon juice. Hurrah to having some sauce to freeze.

Unknown said...

I feel your pain. I did the exact same thing. So frustrating! Why can't that lemon juice get in there on it's own?!?!?

Debby Flowers said...

HI Kristine - beautiful jars of sauce. You know, I never put lemon juice in mine.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I was water bathing them when I realized it. Ugh.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RockPilesAndCaterpillers, I put a sticky note up above my stove and I'll keep it there until canning season is over. Sigh.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, in all my research on it, if you pressure can you don't need it, but if you water bath it, it can go bad. I guess I wasn't taking that chance.

Debby Flowers said...

Ah, you know it's been so long since I've canned, a couple of years at least. I usually pressure can.

Cockeyed Jo said...

I don't start my tomato sauce until we light the wood stove for heat. After harvesting bushels of tomatoes. wash, core, and stick them in 2-gallon bags. I'll put them in the freezer until then. This way my wood stove does double duty it cooks my sauce as it heats my house.