Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Island Time!



We took a hiatus from life and went to the island for the weekend.  Where we are off grid most of the time (love it that way too), and where it was the most normal of normal life.  Peaceful, no protesting,  no rioting, stores open, campground open, beaches open, golf cart rentals going, winery was absolutely packed (they put outside tables all over the property), live music at all our favorite stops, and beautiful scenery.


It's not cheap to eat and drink over there however.  One glass of sangria at the winery is $7.00 and a pitcher $21.00.  We went out for Breakfast one morning and it cost us $70 for the 4 of us.  We packed a lot of food, so we ate at our rental and grilled.  We also brought our own adult beverage.  Breakfast out was biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs and a slice of watermelon (and the biscuits and gravy sadly were the worst we have ever had).

We got to stay an extra night.  Oh darn, lol!  Winds were bad on Sunday and the ferry shutdown after about 9:30am.  We had just got in line, but went back to our lodging and we were allowed to stay another night.  No one would be coming over anyway, so most people had a place to stay.  

Monday however, they ran one ferry.  We got in line and were told 4-5 hours.  An hour later they had 3 ferries running and 2 hours later we were back on the mainland.


I wasn't worried.  I have a crochet project and a pack of cards.  The girls played cards in the back of the truck while we waited.  Some people got out and had a picnic in the grass with their family.  We were all patient, except for the store workers in the marina store at the ferry.  They were furious (and very rude) with the onslaught of sales while we all waiting.  By the way, we had access to public restrooms, a restaurant and store at the marina where the ferry pulls in.  It all worked out.

Lots of wild life over there too.  Saw many deer, raccoons, rabbits and lots of birds, including Boston orioles.



The island has an eagle nest too.  They have 3 babies in the nest.  So cool!

Upon arrival home, our mailbox was bashed in with what we believe was a baseball bat.  We have a USA flag cover on it, and feel it was because of that and a lot of vandalism in an neighboring town (someone on a 4 wheeler at night).  They also stole one of my nice solar lights I had in a flower pot (which has glass panels on it).  I'm so mad about it, so we will be adding more security cameras.  Next time we go away, we'll have a house sitter too.  We had someone come to feed animals, but they we will hire someone to stay the night from now on.  

I already want to go back to the island....vandalism at our home, news, media, more protesting, vandalism nearby, stupidity regarding flying our America flag (by the way our flag pole was laying in the bushes, and it appears the flag pole holder was beat off the porch post).  I have another place to put it up today, and I dare them to come back and beat it down again.  America is not the land of freedom any longer.  It's home of a bunch of idiots and other words I can't put on this post.

On top of dealing with that, the washer drain pump broke the night before we left.  The new pump arrives tomorrow.  No laundry today.  On top of that...yes there is more...we have 2 vehicles and 3 people working today.  Hubby took the Harley to work.  My car is done.  He drove it last night and said, "it's done."  We will be car shopping in a hurry this week.  If it rains, we are in a huge pickle.

The septic guy came Monday.  I had to find a location on the island to get a signal to call and explain our situation and where to locate the septic.  Got home and found he located it and emptied it.  That is off the to-do list now.

Deer have located our tomatoes and ate the tops off some and most of the others down to the quick.  It could be the year of no tomatoes again. I am walking the dogs around the back of the homestead to leave scent and keep the deer off.  In all the years we've lived here, we've never had a problem with the deer (other than the eat pears, but always leave plenty for us).

So, while we got a weekend of rest, we are back to one big headache here on the homestead.  I'm so tired of the way Americans are acting right now, tired of the media, news, and now this vandalism that happened on our very own property.  It's time to get the back stop up and some shooting practice going. If things continue like the are, we'll need the practice.

I hope you enjoyed my weekend retreat photos.  I'm about to go take a peek at the tomatoes and get my late day started.





12 comments:

Faith said...

Kelly's? It's lovely there. We spent the weekend in Amish in a log cabin. Beautiful weather. I fly my flag everyday too. I'm sorry that happened to you. Get away time is good time.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, yes it is Kelley's. We have friends over there. If we ever win the lottery, we will build or buy a place over there. So peaceful and nice people. I hate being home right now.

Cockeyed Jo said...

Idiots is right!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, Hubby beat the mailbox back out, but the flag is beaten off. It'll hold mail until we can replace it. I just found out that a neighboring town also had a lot of solar lights stolen. We saw a person on a 4 wheeler on one camera, but it was too dark to identify. I'm hoping another town caught a better picture of who ever did it.

Faith said...

We stayed at Cricket Cabins ( Apple Blossom) last year for our 25th anniversary, it was a lovely cabin. I preferred it over the one we stayed in this tine, Tranquil Acres Cozy Bear,although this cabin had a loft and a 1st floor bedroom, which Apple doesn't have. I like to stay off the beaten path and away from touristy things. We've found some lovely places to eat and shoppe in Amish which are not tourist traps, where you can eat and shop with local folks. It makes for a nicer visit, different people a different way of life.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, we love cabins, but we love the Comfort Inn in Berlin too. Then we can walk to places in town too. Glad you found smaller stores. They are the best.

Tracy dixon said...

I'm with you on the idiots part. Its crazy. I wore myself out mentally one day trying to educate people and they just dont get it.
We watch our property like a hawk and trust me when I say we will take care of our own.

Stephen said...

What a lousy way to end a weekend away. The world seems to have gone mad lately - even more than usual. It's a bit less nutty here, but not much.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Tracy Dixon, I think we will be installing a driveway motion detector with transmitter (along with a house sitter) next time.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Stephen. I am so glad I don't live in a big city like Atlanta right now. What a mess! The world is gone crazy for sure.

RB said...

The pictures are beautiful. Is that Lake Erie? I grew up not too far south of Lake Erie, about 10-12 miles or so south of Presque Isle Park in Erie County, PA. I miss it in summer, but not so much in winter.
I wonder if that looney guy down the road by you is who vandalized your property. More cameras should tell, and they're not very expensive anymore.
Kind of a funny story, but our Dad use to urinate around the garden before bedtime. He also would cut our hair and would spread our hair around the boundaries. I think our maternal Grandfather told him that would keep the varmints away, and I don't know if it did or not. I don't think we had much trouble with deer on tomatoes and corn, but we did with birds.
I pray everyone is doing well and continues doing so. This COVID is a bad thing. Please follow precautions.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, yes it's Lake Erie, my grandparents had a trailer up there when I was young and we visited so often. We do walk the dogs around the property (haven't for a while) and when they are brushed we drop their hair to leave their scent. Works too.