Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, May 2, 2020

How to make dehydrated diced shallots (or onions)




Using your dehydrator and guidebook, dice shallots, spread it out on parchment paper lined dehydrator trays.  My guidebook states to dehydrate at 155° (same for onions).

I store mine in my freezer, as they quickly absorb moisture and when stored in the pantry do not stay crisp.  Anything from the onion family powdered will absorb moisture in the pantry as well (even in an airtight container).

To re hydrate, I do equal amounts of warm water and dehydrated shallots (same for onions), and let sit for about 20 minutes and drain.  Used as you would in any recipe.

At the same time you are making diced in the dehydrator, you can make finer diced, and grind in to powder and store the same way (in an air tight container).  

Tip:  Use a food processor to dice the shallots (or onions).

2 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I am putting a dehydrator on my wish list, it would really help. Take care.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I love my dehydrator.