Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Snow Returns ~ Cleaning Finds and Other Rambling

First, we got rain, then it turned cold and the snow returned.  I spent a few hours doing more cleaning, and purged a bit more. 

The snow will fall all day today, and freeze, and then turn to rain.  Glory be.  Mother Nature is on a drinking binge.  Daughter had school, but some closed.  Speaking of school, it was "80's" spirit day.  I dug out my very antique 80's double wrap belts and she pulled out her mini-skirt.  We had her in a rockin' outfit in no time.  By the way, the only reason I had my belts, is that I had put them into the kids Halloween costume totes.


In the process of cleaning, I found my lost fold-able (making them so portable for travel) readers for the Harley.  I also realized I am storing more yarn under the bed (yikes!).  More!  It's thread yarn.  I need more hours to crochet, ha ha!




What do you all think about this corona virus?  I came across a list of suggested medicinal herbs, but they are all Chinese herbs, which I have never heard off.  I am making sure we have Four Thieves Vinegar on hand, as well as homemade "lysol" wipes made with tea tree oil, a good supply of ginger root in the freezer, and many tinctures.  Not to mention real vitamin C and D.  I'm starting to also wonder if this will cause tourism dollars to drop to an all time low this year.  I'm not so sure I want to be traveling.






6 comments:

Mary said...

Be careful of those Chinese herbs, when I was studying herbalism in the late 80s early 90s, Chinese herbs like ma huang (ephedra) were all the rage, it wasn’t learned til later that ma huang can cause fatal heart attacks. I think the best thing to do regarding coronavirus 2019 is keep eating healthily, build up our immune systems safely, and be very careful in public. Black elderberry is good, as you know. Avoid touching our faces til we wash our hands. I’m starting to make face masks that can be washed and reused. We also need to store a supply of our prescription meds, foods and water just in case there needs to be quarantines.

Sam I Am...... said...

I'm thinking more of pandemic prepping. I'm sure if home remedies worked they would have saved all those people that died but I guess making your immune systems as healthy as possible is not a bad idea. I would stock up supplies so you don't have to go out and get yourself some masks if you do. YOu can go to the CDC and get info on how to prepare. I would not listen to FB posts as they are usually fear promoting. It is what it is and since they have no known cure it is in God's hands. There are 100's of people that die every year from influenza of some type.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Mary, I wouldn't be buying these herbs anyway, just thought I'd see if you all had other suggestions besides typical "flu" protection in the US. thanks.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, there are many fake news posts, so I am restocking my elderberries etc.

mamasmercantile said...

It is all very alarming but the one thing that is paramount is to keep your hands clean which stops the spread.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I was listening to certain people talk about it, and they say it's one day at a time as far as considering US travel within the US. Crazy.