Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Slow Winter ~ UFO's (unfinished objects) ~ Cleaning Update

It seems like winter is slow this year.  Maybe it's being tucked inside all day long.  I don't know.  If your wondering why your are getting odd/silly or boring posts.....well, it is winter.

It is a good time to work on UFO's, clean and purge though.  
I've been contemplating some outings for a day here and there, but so much needs to be done on the "to-do" list here.  First, we are putting one big job on the weekend list - install a new pellet stove.  I'm gonna push on that.  We really need it done.  The electric bill is killing our finances.  It'll be a big job for the two of us.  

Everything we are doing, or need to do this winter is based on what the weather is on the weekends.  They are predicting rain/snow/wind this coming Sat.  Sunday may be cold.

UFO - FINISH!  
My long time followers will remember this fabric.  It showed up again, and this time I got the ends sewed for a tablecloth.  Finally!  While I didn't dig out the sewing machine, it was very nice and relaxing to switch gears and hand sew! 


I don't particularly like the orange one already on the table, but it's vintage and fits the larger kitchen table.  So glad I finished the other one now!


UFO's being worked on:
I found a creative way to paint and allow these to dry.  I used a thin metal rod and ran each end through stacked small fruit baskets from strawberry season. Ornaments (gifts)


(not a UFO, but on the hook)


Hot pads and XL matching pot holders (order)

Cleaning update:  washed and dried all the runner rugs (we have a lot), got kitchen swept and mopped dishes done, and two tables cleaned off (new tablecloth down on one), cleaned out my nightstand and found a small unfinished project (I have no idea how in the world it ended up in there, and found a bunch of un-written in journals {one will be a gift} and books I totally forgot I bought, hallway runner washed and dried, carpet cleaned and boot pile cleaned up, and will resume again today (have no idea what area though).

I started cleaning up the utility room.  I told my husband, "I have no idea where to even start in that room" so I started with the floor.  I really need a new runner rug in there.  I may just start making one with scrap yarn too.  The two braided rugs in there are falling apart and I can't wash them again.

Day 1 in the utility room resulted with 2 bags of tossed items and one bag started for donations.  I took old curtains (which left a tote in the garage) with roosters on them and hung them over the open cubbies that are built in there for coats as well (I asked Hubby for doors in the future, but his list is long right now).

I cleaned up my un-filed recipes.  I have a bad habit, especially over the holidays, to just slip them inside the recipe box under the lid.  That mess is cleaned up.



Blog Posts from 2019 with the most views:

Keeping Chickens Cool - 866 views

Pickled Red Onions - 469 views

Rosemary Gladstar's Famous Face Cream - 418

Happy Homemaker Monday - 271 views

Homesteading - Spring Chicks - 255 views

Storm Updates - 244 views

It appears that my "Tidbits" posts are the lowest views.

Tidbits  - 82 views

14 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I love your new tablecloth! Good luck with installing a new stove. Make sure it follows the regulations of your house insurance. I had to have mine installed by a licensed wood stove person in Iowa or my house insurance wouldn't be valid. Maybe Ohio is different.
You got a lot done on the cleaning front. My kitchen floor and rugs need cleaning. Oh yes, unfiled recipes is a job I need to do for sure!
Stay warm and energetic!

Faith said...

That is very pretty fabric. I have some that I thought at one time I may make into a wreath, I found it the other day going thru my mobile craft room aka The Tub. I've got to lug out the old sewing machine, and bring it upstairs, and then move it so we can eat supper. Oh bother! Maybe when my guys go camping for a weekend with the scouts, I'll have one them bring it up, and I can finish the wreath. You did find a basil plant I see...good.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, it's not another wood stove. It's a pellet stove. We already have a larger one in, but need to swap it out for the smaller one. They are very heavy. Thanks.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, thank you. Yes, I did find another basil plant, but realized I never planted an indoor parsley plant. Now I'm on the lookout for that too.

Henny Penny said...

The new tablecloth is pretty. I love the vintage ones too but sometimes the colors just don't go right. Your orange one is pretty though. I've got a to-do list a mile long. We started cleaning out books, old record albums, and the gun cabinet yesterday...talk about dust!!!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Henny Penny, it's hard to find a good deal on a long vintage tablecloth anymore. Happy cleaning!

Rain said...

The tablecloth is pretty! Nice stitching! Oh, Kristina, I can relate to how you feel about the electric bill...we can't heat here with our fireplace, it's an energy waster, so we hardly use it. I can't wait to move and be able to heat with a stove!

Carol said...

The tablecloth is beautiful! Oh how I want a pellet stove. My husband says that we will get one next year as the wood is just getting to be too much on both of us. I dread the next week as it is to be colder and I hate the work that comes with having to keep the stupid fire wood stacked, brought in the house, etc.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, I know our electric company was taken to court last year for over charging fees. I guess we'll see if we get any refunds now, but the rates are still high.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, we were lucky to get the pellet stove at a good deal. A friend was moving and selling it. We already have a large one, but we need a smaller one for the back half of the house, to avoid using electric heat.

Lady Locust said...

What you accomplish is impressive! Love that fabric/table cloth.

RB said...

Finally turned the corner on this cold/flu thing. Praise and Thank God!!! Now catching up on rest and will be trying to catch up on housework too, starting with the living room rug generally.
Praying everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Lady Locust

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks RB, glad you are feeling better. Our weather is about to turn very nasty.