Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, January 23, 2020

Romeo ~ Baking ~ Rooster

Romeo strikes again.  He hates it when his Mom goes to school.  He's been putting his paws into the cat hole in the kitchen gate and yanking it open, when she goes out the door.  He actually did it so fast he got outside!  We got him in, but now I need a different gate there, but Tiger needs access too. 



I got another batch of fruit/nut bars made.  I have made many "granola" bars, but we love these the best.  Less fruit, more nuts and seeds.  Yum (King Arthur recipe online)!

Here is the recipe for the "Low Carb" Garlic Cheddar Biscuits I made the other day:

1 1/2 Cups Organic almond flour (superfine)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda (non-gmo)
1/2 tsp. homemade garlic powder (organic)
1/2 tsp. homemade onion powder (organic)
2 large farm fresh eggs
1/2 cup organic sour cream
4 Tbsp. organic butter, melted
1/2 cup organic shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, set aside.  Mix we ingredients, then add we to dry and mix well.

I lined my muffin pan with parchment cups for easier removal (which worked great), otherwise use a non-stick spray.


Makes 12 muffins. Batter is slightly thick, but bakes up so nice.

Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes.

Note:  I freeze organic sour cream, and had thawed it, stirred it and used it in this recipe.  It will be a thinner texture of sour cream, but worked great for baking.

Note:  I accidentally baked these the first time without the butter, and they were so tender and flavorful.


If you are looking to buy a bookmark from my other blog, the purple one is no longer available.  Thank you for your support too!  Every bit counts towards a new coop or dog fence.  Not to mention a grad party this summer.  

I posted some heart embellished paper clips on my Rooster's Crow Handicraft Blog.  

I went to the coop to feed the chickens, and guess what?  Russell Crow (aka Rooster) attacked me. Not once, but twice.  He's about to get the boot and a different rooster put in with the ladies.  I don't know why he's turned on me after I raised him and he was nice all this time.  Until yesterday.  Do rooster's change on a dime like that?  Turn from nice to mean?  Sparta was such a good rooster and lived 10 years, so this boggles my mind.

8 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I don't know anything about roosters but it does sound weird. I hope you get an answer...maybe Google it.
I love King Arthur recipes...they are always good! Your garlic cheddar biscuits sound yummy too!

Carol said...

We had a rooster that turned mean over time as well. I am thankful that he is gone. We called him Kellogg because he looked like the rooster that was on the Corn Flakes box years ago.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, thanks. The biscuits are so good!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, my husband thought it was weird with the rooster too. I mean we go in the coop daily, sometimes twice. I guess we'll see what he does today.

Goatldi said...

I think hand raised Roos are like hand raised kittens and bucks and so forth. They see you as an equal in the flock, herd etc. So as they mature they walk over those boundaries especially the males. Or at least try.

I will be in touch about the ornaments. My turn to be overwhelmed. 😂
.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Goatldi

Debby Flowers said...

I have had quite a few nasty roosters over the years. I have tried spoiling them with lots of hand fed treats and still had them turn on me and tried different things to train them to be more respectful; nothing worked and it ends with the hatchet. I think many breeds are inbred and it comes out in agression. If you can find someone who breeds their own you might do better... try a Buckeye. Mine is gentle.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Debby