Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Winter Medicinal Prep



Started a  jar of sage tincture.


Started another jar of mullein tincture






Dehydrated sage for meals and for medicinal tea and for recipes.  I use it to make homemade sausage, pumpkin sage mac n' cheese and other recipes.  I didn't have much to harvest as one plant is half dead, so I had to dig out my small dehydrator for that small job.



Started a jar of Four Thieves Vinegar.





Froze medicinal basil pesto (Rosemary Gladstar recipe)


Made a medicinal jar of thyme honey (Rosemary Gladstar).  I also have her recipe for Thyme Syrup.  That only lasts 4-6 weeks, so I have an indoor plant for that this winter.



Started one jar of elderberry elixir.





Put organic ginger root in the freezer.  I just rinse, dry, wrap up and place in a freezer bag.  It is used for ginger tea, homemade ginger ale and other recipes.  Ginger root itself has so many healthy benefits overall, I make sure I have it on hand at all times, especially when the snow is flying.  Which reminds me, I need to stock up on club soda for the ginger ale as well.



Planted basil seeds for an indoor pot resource. Lots of good benefits from it and I use it in recipes.  It's already sprouting.



I also restocked organic pineapple juice.  I use it for not just recipes, but it's great to have on hand for colds and coughs as well as the health benefits.  I use it to make homemade teriyaki sauce too.




6 comments:

Faith said...

Four Thieves...what are the medicinal benefits? What a cute little dehydrator, hope you are feeling better.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, according to Rosemary Gladstar's book, in the way past it was used to "ward off the plague" so any time we feel something coming on, we take it. The book is titled, "Rosemary Gladstar's Medicinal Herbs, A Beginner's Guide. I use many of the recipes in that book too.

Sam I Am...... said...

You have been busy! I pinched my basil to keep it from blooming and threw the "seeds" in the bottom of the pot and lo and behold I have new basil plants!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, my outdoor basil died, so I'm excited to have it indoors for winter now.

Luludou said...

I like reading about herbal médecines, though I know Nothing about it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Luludou, Rosemary's Gladstar's beginner's book has a lot of recipes and info.