Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Stocking Up ~ Possibilities



Located some organic pork, so a batch of meatballs went into the freezer, and provided dinner recently. Gotta do this before the freezer fills up. 




Picked up 10# of blueberries, but almost didn't get them.  I lost track of the season.  Oops.



Got a bit of yellow squash in the freezer (again, not from my garden)


Got a bit of green beans in the freezer (again, not from my garden this year).


Scored a free book from the post office.  It's a small post office, and only open 2 hours a day.   They now have free books inside if you are lucky to get there during their hours.


We are talking about moving now.  Maybe within the next year or two.   We've been talking about it for a few days now.   We are sick of the weather issues here.   We are serious about it too.  We are also talking about some winter adventures to get out of the house this year, but if it's as bad as last winter, we'll be stuck here.  I guess we'll see.  

There is also the possibility of pulling the tomato stakes and mowing the darn thing down.  Seriously.  I picked tomatoes and all were rotten but one and there were only about 5 to pick.  

Our 20 year-old daughter came over to watch a movie with her younger sister.  Of course to play with the puppy too.  I had to laugh as I heard her moaning over her dinner.  I know she doesn't cook much and eats poorly, so I'm glad she comes over for dinner too.

8 comments:

Faith said...

Did you get any takers about the yarn? I like to make up meatballs to, I buy the pork,veal,beef combo. It's so nice to have fresh meatballs when I need them.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, I haven't found anyone who has the yarn I'm looking for. It's discontinued so I'm not surprised. I had someone who wanted me to make a pot holder set with that color. I will have enough to make a dishcloth, but not pot holders.

Leanna said...

If you have the meant to make the move then do it as soon as possible. Dinner with the kids is always interesting. I just froze 4 - one quart-sized bags of blueberries yesterday and one large bag of washed and dried yellow seedless grapes. I like to eat them in the fall and drop a few in my wine now and then to keep it cold. I'm gearing up for the autumn holiday season.

Sam I Am...... said...

The meatballs look good and I love Joanna Fluke's books!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leanna, thanks for that tip on the grapes and keeping wine cold.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am, I love her books too.

Carol said...

How do you keep the squash from getting soggy when you take it out of the freezer and cook it? I have a lot of squash that I need to do something with.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, it will be softer when it's thawed. We put it in casseroles, veggie dishes, breakfast scrambles and frittatas etc.