Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, August 19, 2019

Happy Homemaker Monday


We were so thankful to see the rain arrive.  The garden and flower beds were so dry, not to mention the herb garden (I now call the "weed" garden).  The beets and carrots are very small right now.  I hope we have a good fall season to fatten them up.



We had a family breakfast Sunday morning. On our way there we had a major storm, taking out our power for 3 hours.  It was 86°F but a heat index of 97.  

We came home and Hubby worked on one daughter's car (in the heat no less.  I was watching out the window and saw him running.  Wasps had made a nest in her side mirror and one stung him.  Funny thing is, is that I had just picked plantain, and had fresh to grind up and put a poultice on his bite.  Anyway, car is finally fixed and delivered.  One more "to-do" checked off the list.

Hubby has been pretty good on his to-do list lately.  He even installed a new dead bolt on one door, and has more to go.  His priority now is fixing the old truck.  He plans to pick up a new drawer bracket for me today too.  Another job hopefully checked off this week.

Somehow, over our recent camping trip (best I figure because I woke up Sunday with a red spot on my ankle that was sort of feeling like a burn).  Not sure what it was but most likely in the spider family.  Plantain poultice to the rescue (and homemade neosporin).  Guess I'm going to start wearing tall socks under my jeans next camping trip.  I had shoes on with short socks.  Lesson learned.  We will also check under the camper mattresses each time we pop up the camper.

I finally ordered my instant read thermometer.  It's been a long time waiting on doing this.  I have one, but it's not an instant read.  I was watching America's test kitchen and they recommended it.  Once it arrives I'll share a picture of it.





Today I'm joining Sandra at Dairy of a Stay at Home Mom.  I already have a lot crossed off my to-do list.  I'm up early every day.



On the breakfast plate . . .
Breakfast burrito with scramble made with dandelion greens, and a homemade cinnamon roll.  Cup of organic coffee.


The weather outside is . . .
High of 86°F, Sunny with a chance of thunderstorms again tonight. Possible rain again today too.


Right now I am . . .
Trying to get my daughter to get out of bed.  It's almost 11am.


On my reading pile . . . 
Sorting mail and filing recipes if that counts for reading, ha ha!


On my TV this week . . .
Eat My Dust  and Urban Cowboy- movies on Amazon

On the menu . . .
Cabbage/potatoes and sausage
Tacos
Cheesy pasta broccoli bake
Blueberry pancakes and sausage

Leftovers


On the to do list . . .
Master bath
Laundry
Fold towels in laundry basket
Dishes/kitchen clean up
Run dishwasher
Floors
Water porch pots
Take clothes off drying racks and put them away
Make a bucket of homemade laundry detergent
Pay school fee 
Make a trip to the store for wasp spray
Place order for drawer brackets
Place order window switch for one daughter's car
Order a new spray nozzle for homemade bug spray
Take recycling
Call for Septic (might actually and finally get done)
A few things need canned this week
Clean up computer area


What I am creating . . .

Finished these two sets of pot holders and started another one.  I hope to have time to start another bracelet - got two more orders.


Looking forward to . . .
Our next motorcycle ride, camping trip - just anything relaxing.


Looking around the house . . .
I'm getting some ideas for different storage items in the kitchen.  Already ordered some containers for my canning rims


From the camera . . .
A picture that daughter took when Romeo had a sleepover weekend with the kids at their apt.  Zuri is warming up to him.  What a happy sight for sure.  King is too, Romeo just curled up with Zuri.


Thinking about . . .
Building a bat house.  We really need to get the bats out of the barn.


Prayers . . .
The world in general, private requests, super quick healing of my darn spider bite.


10 comments:

Luludou said...

you are good with homemade medicine! Hope the wasp and spider bites don't hurt anymore. Family breakfasts (or any meal for that matter) are always nice. 3 hours without power in the heat? uggh! Hoping you get some rain soon.
Have a great week

Dianna said...

Your menu sounds delicious! And I'm very impressed by your pot holders. :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Luludou, I'm trying a new method of remedy for the spider bite. If it works I'll be sharing it soon.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Dianna!

threesidesofcrazy said...

Looks like you have a good start to a busy week. Love the pup picture too. Love the pot holders too! Have a GREAT week.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks threesidesofcrazy

Jean said...

Ouch! Hope the wasp stings and spider bite are healing nicely. I can remember seeing Urban Cowboy at the movie theater with my cousin. Not going to comment on how long ago that might or might not have been ;) Hope you have a wonderful week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

thanks Jean!

Jodi said...

Look at that to do list...busy lady! Love the pot holders, I need to make a few! Love the pup pic! Have a great week!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Jodi.