Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, March 1, 2019

Skullcap infused oil ~ Spider bite scar update #2 ~ Dish Day and otherTidbits

I don't have photos to share, as the scar tissue remains the same, although sensitive to the touch.

I infused skullcap oil (instructions on how to infuse an oil can be found on Mountain Rose Herbs blog online) to maintain care of the scar tissue and heal it the best I can.  Although there are other herbs/weeds to infuse, I chose skullcap.  In my research it aids in healing acne scars, so I went with that to care for my spider bite scar.

I know it will be sensitive to sunlight this summer, not that my leg sees much sun (I wear pants in the garden).

Just a quick update and another way to treat scars.  If you have another way, please share.


After 2 days of dark days, we finally had beautiful sunshine.



Thursday was what I call a full blown "dish day."  I literally washed a mountain of dirty dishes, dried them and put them away, and almost immediately found myself getting more than half of them back out to cook/bake.  Oh look!  There are rotten bananas.  Must make banana bread.  Reaching in the fridge for chocolate chips....oh look!  Over abundance in milk.  I should make Mom's overnight casserole to use some up.  Must not waste anything.  Oh look, eggs can be boiled.  Sigh....I do it almost every day.  Lord help me.

I finally scooted outside to hunt down some chicken wire for another project, but was back in to do the dishes again.

I picked this recipe box for our oldest daughter.  She loves sunflowers.  There are divider cards inside and extra recipe cards.  I scanned family favorite recipes, glued them to index cards, and slipped them into a plastic recipe card protector.  I hope she likes it.

Something I learned (but haven't tried) - you can eat used tea leaves.  I'm talking about nettle, comfrey etc.  Edible weeds.  I just learned of this, and of course they won't be as strong as they've already been used for tea, but edible (tossed in a frittata, eggs, pasta etc.  I have a compost bin, so I have never thought of this until I read about it.  Do any of you use your medicinal tea leaves for another meal?



8 comments:

RB said...

The only thing I can think of for scars is the ointment used for stretch marks after pregnancy or good old aloe vera. Is there anyone you know who does "laying on of hands"??? Cause I believe that works too. It's Biblically based, and I swear, I've had it work for me a time or two when I had a bad gash that wouldn't heal, and after the "laying on of hands" thing, they started healing. Course you have to believe in the healer and the One who gave them that gift too. Maybe check with churches nearby or ask some of the old folks.
Sciatica is a daily visitor for me. But I'll get by.
Today our middle sister is having open heart surgery to deal with 3 clogged arteries, so she's in my constant prayer today. Our mother died during open heart surgery many decades ago, but she was a very heavy smoker, and sister Nancy isn't. So she's in God's hands because our prayers have placed her there.
Prayers everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, prayers for you and your family. When my sciatica flares up, stretching works great to relieve the pain.

Susan said...

I think your daughter will love that recipe box - what a thoughtful gift! I had to laugh at your description of one recipe leading to another - it happens to me every time. I cannot stand to waste anything!

mamasmercantile said...

What a lovely gift, filled with love. I love the idea of sharing some of our recipes and passing them on like that.

Leigh said...

I didn't know that about skullcap! Good to know. All my tea leaves (at least not those in teabags, which don't seem to decompose anymore) go into the compost. There they either feed the chickens or the soil!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, it happens all the time, and some days I don't get out of the kitchen, lol! She loved the recipe box and asked for more recipes too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I'm saving the recipes on the computer for the other kids now too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, mine too.