Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, March 22, 2019

Random Tidbits

A rainy day didn't keep me down.  I had lots of indoor chores to do.  I was a bit sore from outdoor work too, so a break was a bit nice.  I puttered around, refilled the chili pepper, refilled homemade foaming hand soap, etc.  


I made Einkorn chocolate chip cookies.  Although I only had their "all-purpose" flour, and not the Whole Grain whole wheat flour, they turned out delicious.  Just not as thick, but so good.

Here's what our menu has been for the week so far:
Sweet potato chili
Tacos
Breakfast for dinner - blueberry pancakes, eggs, sausage
Lima bean soup
Leftovers

The weather forecast for the weekend changed.  We were so pumped to have a 60-70° day, but that has now lowered to a high of 53° and cloudy.  Time will tell if we get our ride or not.

The bathroom remodel is still on hold until next week or later.  The truck shopping continues.  Hubby joked that he'd have a massaging seat installed for me, after giving me a shoulder rub after two days in the herb garden.

A friend has told me about a local shop that rents out space for consignment.  I am a bit hesitant.  The cost is a bit high, plus they take 10% commission, and 2% for credit card sales.  The garden work has started, so I have less time to do handiwork, so this is on the back table for now.

Our Youngest was the MC for the school's talent show, so we went and watched that in the evening.  She was hilarious too.  She announced one student like a boxing match announcer would announce the boxer entering, so funny!

14 comments:

Carol said...

I think those cookies look amazing. I have no idea as to what Einkorn is, but I would not want whole wheat flour for my chocolate chip cookies.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Carol, Einkorn is an "untouched" pure grain that is very healthy. It is very good in baked goods. I just wish a store would sell it locally. I get tired of relying on online purchases.

Faith said...

I was wondering the same thing, in fact never heard of Einkorn . Thank you for the explanation. But the cookies look good. Consignments? I tried it one time, I didn't sell anything, I don't recall what the commission was it was a few years ago. I think maybe where the store is located, and what type of items they have brought in, who their customers are etc. Where I took mine was in a high end area, there was yarn sold their, not the kind I use for my projects, like Caron Simply Soft, but rather "designer" yarns. My projects were very nice, but not any competition for what was being sold in that neighborhood, or created with the yarns for sale there. Lesson learned. It is worth consideration, and when you have the time try one or two items and see how they fly. This was just my experience.

Faith said...

p.s. sweet potatoe chilli? do tell? sounds good.

Faith said...

things keep catching my eye..goguchang..love it. Ever have Korean Bibimbap? It's really good.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Faith, the recipe is on my blog here: https://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/2017/01/chili-homesteader-variety.html

Thanks for the tips on selling consignment too. No I have never had the Korean dish you mention.

Rain said...

The cookies look delicious! Oh heck, I'll take a massaging seat!!!

mamasmercantile said...

Rain here too which stopped some of the jobs we wanted to do.

Leigh said...

I wish I could find a source of einkorn. Those cookies look fantastic.

Dan tried a consignment shop once but it was a disaster. Between rent and fees it was impossible to come out any way but behind. Someone broke one of his pieces so that was an additional hit he had to take. Not a good experience for us.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Rain.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mamasmercantile, gotta love spring rain

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, I have to buy my Einkorn flour online, but have put in a suggestion for a store to carry it. I guess we'll see. Thanks for sharing your experience. I do fear it will be a waste of money.

Sandra said...

Your cookies look really good. And imagine a massaging seat in a truck, I would love that hahaha

Have a wonderful weekend :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, thanks. They actually have trucks with built in seat massagers too. Ha ha!