Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, December 29, 2018

Gettin' Fresh Air ~ RIP Sapphire


The weather yesterday was fantastic as fantastic can go in winter.  Not only myself, but the laundry was out getting fresh air.  Low 50's, a bit breezy, but cloudy.  I still took advantage of it and put the laundry outside to dry.  I even got a load of towels dried outside.  Felt great, since it's been awhile to be out.



What went up, must come down.  I am starting early due to our schedule right now.  I feel like it's coming down as fast as it went up though.

I pulled out my recipe book for my 4 Thieves vinegar and was short of one ingredient.  Thankfully, I got an order placed and will restock my ACV as well.  My gallon jug is almost empty.  I have one more jar of 4 Theives already made.

Other than laundry, bills got paid and one daughter came for a visit.  She took her Jeep to a dealership to have the heat looked at (not working properly) and when she took her Jeep home (heat not fixed) it was making a horrible sound.  They told her it would cost her $100 to be tested.  Instead, she drove to our place where Hubby fixed it and helped her fix a few other things after work.

Thankfully, she was here too.  While I had thought someone hit a raccoon across the street from our homestead, she had walked across the street to double check. 

Sadly, it was our barn cat Sapphire.  In all the 10 years we've lived here, both her and Aurora have been safe.  My heart is so heavy.  Sapphire had a thing with me, while Aurora with Hubby.  They'd love on us daily.  Strangest sort of barn cats - kill rodents, but love on us.

The two were like glue.  Always cleaning each other, sleeping with each other, hunting with each other.  We always believed Aurora was her mother, but there was no way of telling.  Sapphire is the gray cat and we called her "Sassy" and I will miss her greatly.  She would kill full sized rabbits and bring them to the porch.  Nothing got past her either.  She was a good guard cat.  I'll never forget the day the cats were screeching out back.  They were warning us of a black water snake at our back door.  Oh, my heart is so heavy today.  She'd be the first to greet me in the morning and the last, while out with the dog.  She even loved on Jesse and the other dogs.  She visited me in the garden, barn and anywhere outside.  Sapphire will be upset she can't hunt in heaven.  RIP Sapphire. Aurora will miss you, but we'll give her extra attention and love.  



5 comments:

Vicki said...

I'm sorry, Kristine. Losing a beloved animal tears up our hearts. They ask so little and give so much. Rest in peace, Sapphire.

Mary Mc said...

I am very sorry for the loss of your beloved little friend. -Mary

Bovey Belle said...

So sorry to read that you have lost Sapphire. Your heart will be heavy now she is no longer with you. They leave such a gap. I hope that Aurora can get along without her but as they were so close, she is bound to miss her at first.

Rain said...

Oh Kristina, I'm so sorry about Sapphire. :(

Sandra said...

Kristina, I am so sorry about Sapphire, our pets are like family aren't they?

Hugs,
Sandra