Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, November 12, 2018

Happy Homemaker Monday

I'm joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.  I'm a bit slow today.  Oh my....

We delivered a meal to Hubby's best friend (who recently lost his wife) and son last night (his daughter was away in another state), and we brought along our daughter.  I baked chicken spaghetti and corn casserole (just like a lighter corn pudding, but baked).  They loved it thankfully.  But...but....here's the kicker.  Stories where shared all night, although we had intentions of leaving early, the bottle of Jack was pouring shot after shot.  He he.  Oh my land.  I'm  gonna be putting honey on everything today.  Yep, I am hungover for the first time in a very long, long time, but all in good.  We loved spending time with them, and they kept thanking us for the food we took over.  Thankfully, we had a driver.  She was a trip too.  Kept talking to us like we were the children and she was the parent.  And in truth she was, ha ha!

On the way home, guess what we saw.  A coyote.  A lone one.  Sitting a the edge of the road, halfway down the field south of our place, which is adjacent to our property.  Yep.  Not good.  Not normal for this late in the season either, and the farmer has yet to take his miles of corn out across the road.  It's just harboring animals of different kinds.

Speaking of corn, someone hit a deer last week (same place one was hit last year, almost across our north drive). One crossed the other night while I was out with Jesse too.  Anyway, I noticed someone came during the night and cut the head and tail off.  I'm guessing it was buck, but why, why, why?  Who would want to pay a taxidermy for a deer you didn't kill nor even put in the freezer? Do poachers sell that sort of stuff?  I just don't understand the logic of taking a deer head to mount if you didn't kill it yourself and harvest the meat.


The weather outside is. . .
So-so.  Snow is on the way though. There is no wind and it's 29°F.


On the breakfast plate . . .
Blueberry pancakes with honey.  And about 3 pots of much needed coffee, followed by hot tea with honey.


As I look out the window . . .
There is not much of a sunrise this morning.


Right now I am . . .
Washing a crocheted blanket my daughter's friend used to sleep Saturday night.  She came over for a sleepover, but came sick.  Yes.  I said sick. Coughing and hacking the entire time.  Who does that to people???  I sprayed the entire couch with vodka/lavender spray and anti-ill spray.  Man alive.  I went to town and sprayed everything she may have touched too.  I'm sorry, but do not, do not go out if you are sick. 


As I look around the house . . .
Deep cleaning must resume.  I am having a Thanksgiving dinner here this year.  It needs done anyway.  I like to live chaos free.


On the to-do list. . .
-a mountain of dishes
-anything I can manage to get done today, ha ha!  Literally.


Currently reading. . .
A stack of old writer magazines.


On the TV. . .
Nothing.


On the menu. . .
A new recipe!!  I'll be updating if we like it or not.  It's breakfast dish, but we are having it for dinner.  Other than that, I don't have a menu planned. I have a HUGE stack of dishes to wash this morning before I write one out.  I need to consume lots of honey today, so my brain can function normal enough to even sort out a menu (ha ha!).


What I am creating at the moment . . .
Crocheted Christmas tree ornaments, and embroidered kitchen towels (photos to come soon I hope).


Favorite photo from the camera. . .
My Dad.


Prayers, inspirational quotes, or devotionals. . .
Continued prayers for Hubby's best friend and family, as they continue to grieve.  






17 comments:

M.E. Masterson said...

can you tell me about the honey and hangovers? I love love honey!
Hope you find relief today.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

M.E. Masterson, I have read several times that honey can reduce or relieve a hangover, so I add it to my toast and in my tea. Here is one article: https://www.motherearthliving.com/natural-health/natural-hangover-remedy-honey

Sam I Am...... said...

I've praying for all who lost loved ones everywhere. So many deaths from shootings and the fire. He and his family are definitely not alone in dealing with loss...not that it helps. I pray for them to find healing and peace and a good nights sleep.
I hope you are functional today...lol! But glad you visited them and took food. I'm sure they truly appreciated the time and effort you took. Take care!

threesidesofcrazy said...

Sorry to hear you're hungover, but glad you are using a GREAT remedy - it really works. More sorry to hear about your friends loss. Also so sad about the deer - I agree with you about it having probably been a buck, but like you said, why??? The picture of your dad is wonderful for Veterans day! Have a GREAT week.

Jean said...

Hope your headache isn't too bad. Hadn't heard that about honey though I do know it's a good cure for just about anything. Having breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things. Hope your head doesn't hurt too bad today and you have a wonderful week!

Rebecca Knox said...

Love seeing the coyotes and other wildlife in winter. Can't remember for sure, but think that you're west of us. Are you getting the snow now? We've gotten about 2 inches so far and another 2, at least, is expected. Blessings for a beautiful week ahead and will be remembering your friends in our prayers. <3

mamasmercantile said...

Smiled about the hangover, it does you good now and again. What a mystery, taking the head, their i certainly some strange people around.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, they were very thankful and told me they loved the food.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Tamy, and yes, I just can't see the logic in what they did to the deerm and of course they left the rest there.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Jean, I am about to brew up some hot tea too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rebecca, snow is heading our way tonight.

LA Paylor said...

yes, do not go out sick!!! I heard that viruses can cause a person to be more social, so that they can spread easier!! Yikes!

Old write magazines... I am now chuckling picturing a bunch of 90 year old writers at typewriters, pumping out magazine after magazine. (I have a warped sense of humor) Are you a writer too? Love to chat with you! LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Luludou said...

Blueberry pancakes with honey - sounds divine.

Didn't know about honey and hangovers

I agree sick people should stay home - I do!
Have a great week

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yes, LA Paylor, I dabble here and there, but haven't done much with my writing lately.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Luludou

Susan said...

I think that your good company was just as important to your friends, as your delicious food. I knew honey was good for a lot of things, but didn't know that it eased hangovers! Something to tuck in my bonnet for another time... We have a large, wandering pack of coyotes that cycle through. It always puts me on edge when they are near. Even though I appreciate their place in the order of life, when you have livestock, you tend to appreciate them a little less.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I agree about the coyotes. I don't want my little "tater tot" to get attacked either.