Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Tidbits ~ Ham and Pea Pasta

I'm very concerned about Hubby.  His long hours have totally exhausted him and he's not feeling well. Wednesday night was the first time he would try one of my tinctures for sinus pressure (and it worked and he wanted it this morning).  I brewed a tea infusion for him, for exhaustion.  He was willing to trudge out to the coop and help me fix that hole, but I could tell he didn't want to do anything but eat dinner and lay in bed.

As the holidays approach, I thought it would great to share this comfort food recipe we love.  Although homemade noodles are wonderful, I made it this time with organic/non-gmo macaroni noodles.

Have leftover ham?  Make this delicious garden to table casserole!

Ham and Pea Pasta

1 cup diced  home grown onions
1 Tbsp. of organic butter*  
Saute together until onions are clear, then add 1 cup diced ham, and cook about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat.

3 cups organic/non-gmo pasta (cook and drain while you saute onions).  I like to use homemade pasta if I have it on hand.  Lately, I've found inexpensive organic pasta at our local store.

In a large mixing bowl mix the following ingredients:
1 "can" of homemade cream of chicken soup*
1 cup of home raised milk, or organic milk
2 1/2 cups organic shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup homegrown garden peas, cooked and drained*
1/2 tsp. homemade onion powder
1/2 tsp. homemade garlic powder
 - thyme, to your taste
 - salt and pepper
Add the cooked onions and ham, and cooked and drained macaroni noodles.  Mix well.

Pour into an oiled or sprayed (non-stick organic spray) 9 x 13 inch baking dish.  Bake for 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and sprinkle homemade dried onion flakes on top (optional).  Bake 10 more minutes.

Optional:  add 1/2 cup organic sour cream to the mix

*organic cream of chicken from the grocery can be used, or you can make your own (Simply Scratch online recipes)  You can also substitute with homemade condensed cream of celery soup.

*frozen organic peas can be used, simply thaw prior to adding


10 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Thanks for the recipe! It's sounds tasty and inexpensive too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Sam I Am, we love it!

Rain said...

It does sound tasty :) I love comfort food, that pretty much describes my diet! Homemade pasta is time consuming and I find that if I can get a good price on organic pasta, I'd opt for that.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Rain, pasta is typically our comfort food, along with roast, potatoes and veggies.

Lady Jane said...

MMMMMMM this sounds really good. I am trying to do more organic and make my own things. Thanks for such an interesting blog. hugs, lj

Mama Pea said...

I just made something like your casserole with elbow pasta and leftover ham. Didn't add the peas, but that would be good. Asparagus or broccoli, too. I love pasta but unfortunately my protein-loving husband isn't crazy about it. Too many carbs, he says. (Maybe that's why he stays so thin!) :o\

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are welcome Lady Jane, glad you are enjoying my blog.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I love to toss asparagus or broccoli in tomato sauce based casseroles too. Yum.

mamasmercantile said...

It looks and sounds delicious, we tend to go for tomato based sauce when we have pasta but it would make a nice change.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile. I took the photo before topping it with more cheese. It is very good.