Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, September 7, 2018

Turkey Zucchini Meatballs

I like to freeze these uncooked, because they cook up pretty quickly.  It's a great way to use zucchini too.  I double this and use my large pampered chef cookie scoop, getting about 34 to 35 meatballs.

Turkey Zucchini Meatballs
1 lb. ground turkey, organic
1 cup shredded zucchini*
1 tsp. homemade Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. homemade garlic powder
1/2 tsp. homemade onion powder
1/4 tsp. organic (or homemade) crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

*if using thawed, frozen shredded zucchini, squeeze out liquid before adding.

Shape into balls and freeze or cook.  To freeze, I put them on a try and freeze, then remove and freeze in an airtight freezer container or freezer bag.

To Bake (thawed):
Preheat oven to 400°F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a pampered chef stoneware bar pan.  Bake 16-18 minutes, or until done.

To Bake Frozen:
Bake 20-25 minutes or until done.

I like to bake the meatballs about an hour to an hour and a half, prior to dinner.  Place them in a crock pot on low and top with a sauce.

Sauces we love:
Homemade marinara sauce
Hot pepper mustard sauce
Home canned BBQ sauce
Mixing home canned ketchup with home canned grape jelly

We've also considered using our habanero/apricot jelly in place of grape, as well as our hot pepper jelly.  It all depends on what you like.  It make a super easy meal.

These sauces are terrific with beef/pork meatballs as well.





6 comments:

Bits of Stitching! said...

They look delicious and simple to make, plus they are GF and Egg free which means my severely allergic kid can enjoy them too! Thinking it should be fine with ground beef as well. Growing up I recall my mother making very simple meatballs, she never used eggs or bread crumbs. Just the meat and seasonings.
Thanks for sharing this recipe! The addition of zucchini is a plus, especially with my younger one being a picky eater!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Bits of stitching, thanks. I also make beef/pork meatballs, which requires eggs, but I use ground organic oats vs. breading.

mamasmercantile said...

They look delicious, a great addition for the freezer. A start as been made on the soap savers, thank you for inspiring me.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

You are welcome mamasmercantile. The soap saver bags are great to go with homemade soap.

Leigh said...

This is a great idea. I just need to find room in my freezer, get a bigger freezer, or pig out on meatballs!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leigh, that was me last year - hardly any more room to put stuff in the freezer, ha ha!