Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Random-ness

A big thank you to those leaving me comments.  They brighten my day.  Thank you to all who even visit my blog as well.

Wednesday was a strange day for me.  It was our daughter's (youngest) first day to school.  We were all up at 5:30am, and sitting on the porch awaiting the school bus.  The bus picks her up at 6:17am.  It felt very weird to be home alone.  Too quiet for me, so the music came on.

Before cleaning the kitchen, I had the washing machine going, and multi-tasked.



A handful of hot peppers were sliced and frozen, while I baked up a large breakfast egg/sausage/potato/sweet potato/hot pepper scramble.  It'll last the next few days, so we won't have to cook at 5:30am.






We needed tortillas for that scramble (needed more eggs, but I have slackers right now and needed two more eggs), so I whipped up some einkorn homemade tortillas.  I shared this a while back, but now the recipe is also online:  Einkorn Tortillas.


I also baked some Einkorn Snickerdoodles.  I knew our daughter would need some comfort food after her first nervous day at school, and my hard working husband would love a healthy treat.



I took down all the kitchen curtains, washed the windows and wood work, and put new curtains up.  They sort of look like bandannas and have a white back.  They will be perfect for keeping the kitchen warmer this winter, and blocking out the heat of the sun when necessary too.  I have odd shaped windows, so the valances will not fit, and are in storage for now.  I may use lighter curtains for spring and summer and just use these in the fall/winter.

Washed, dried and put away all my dirty dishes.  Counters were scrubbed clean and sanitized.  Stove top scrubbed.

10 comments:

Susan said...

That scramble wouldn't last long, if I had anything to do with it! It looks delicious! I always have to laugh when you say you don't get much done - you do more than most in your down time! Hope your daughter's first day went smoothly. Is this her last year?

Bovey Belle said...

Goodness, that's such an early start. Does she have to travel a long way to school, or do they just have odd/long hours? She must be tired out when she gets home.

You've been busy in the kitchen, that's for sure.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, she has one more year after this school year.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Bovey, she is picked up and then taken to her old high school, switches buses, and is take 33 minutes from our home to her vocational school, where she will learn to be a cosmetologist. Upon returning home, she is dropped at the old school, then switches buses again and then to our home. It's our hope, that we can get her a car next year so she can drive and not have to leave so early and get home so late.

Harry Flashman said...

I can remember getting up at 0 dark thirty to get the kids ready for school. We finally gave up on the bus, because they had to be at the bus stop at the foot of the mountain by 0630, and didn't get to school until 0800. Then coming home, they left school at 1530 and didn't get to our bus stop until 1700. My kids hated it, my daughter called it the "yellow cheese wagon." So my wife would drive the 16 miles to town, drop them at school, then drive the same 16 miles one way to pick them up at the end of the day.
Oh, yes. I remember school well indeed.

RB said...

I didn't know you had one that young. Nice to have a wide range though. They can teach each other different things as they grow older.
Looks like you had a busy day, even though alone in the house.
I finally feel like I've turned the corner of illnesses and pains. I got the energy up to color my hair yesterday - purplish, my favorite hair color. It had turned rather gray while I was ill last winter, so the color really took and it's kinda dark even though it's the color I always use, but I'll get use to it. Was telling someone online who was contemplating going back to a color they once had, do what makes you really feel like "you". Cause that's how I feel with my hair color back again.
Got all the cat blankets washed, hung out on the line, dried, brought in and folded yesterday. Though I usually do that every day, due to several rainy days, it had piled up so it was quite a chore, but fulfilling once done.
Gonna run on cause I work tomorrow.
Prayers everyone has a great week, and a safe one too.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Harry, I'm glad she at least has the bus, but man it's a lot of riding and early and late hours.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, yes we have one kiddo left living at home. She too, wants to color her hair. In the class they are told to look good, as it's part of their job with hair, facials, and nails. She is loving it so far. Thanks. Praying you health stays fantastic.

mamasmercantile said...

Hope your daughters first day back at school went well, it must be tiring starting out so early.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks mamasmercantile, she is really having a good time this school year so far, and loves what she's going there for. It is an early and late schedule to get used to as well.