Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, July 23, 2018

Weekend of Work

Can't purge books?  I found a sure fire way to do it, that's for sure.  Just empty the bookshelves completely, remove the shelves, dust, and start sorting through the books.  A rainy day helps too.

Oh my.  I must have been one crazy Christmas lady back in the day.  I think I purged over 200 Christmas related books.  I had everything the Christmas Almanac, to the Treasury, kids books to Christmas related novels.  Yeah...my purge continues as I sort through them. I even had a book with Christmas recipes, crafts and traditions for around the world, ha ha!

I actually found one that is now on the "read it" list right now.

I bought it at a library book sale, and apparantly forgot I even had it.

One book went to a family member on Hubby's side.



Yeah, I was a crazy Christmas lady.  I ordered this book way back in the day, and never used it.  It has recipes too.  (this is only one double wide book shelf, not including my homesteading bookshelf and my "study" bookshelves)

We loaded the car to the hilt, and headed to the other "Big City" to drop it all off at the thrift store.  What a good feeling that was. 

There are a few more things to do in the living room, and I'll be moving onto the next.  It's looking pretty nice and much more "livable" now that the dogs are not eating my sofa cushions.  Next year we'll replace the couch.

Sunday, Hubby helped me recover (weed) the sweet potatoes.  They look pretty good too, thankfully.  We did that early in the morning, so we took the rest of the day off. Hubby did a few small "fix it's" around the house too.

After delivering a birthday cake and ice cream to my step daughter, we high tailed it back for a ride with with a friend, and when we got back the kids showed up to raid the refrigerator (they looked like animals that hadn't eaten in weeks).   As we were all on the front porch friends stopped in, so it was a fun day even after garden work.

Rain is in the forecast today as well.  We'll see if they are correct.  It was still a tad bit wet on Sunday, so I'm hoping we get more rain.  It sure makes weeding go much faster.

Last night Hubby showed Youngest how to pop home grown popcorn.  She was a happy gal.  She needed a snack, and what's not better than home grown popcorn?

6 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

I was laughing at the title of Christmas lady, I dare not count how many Christmas books I have. I am going to delay the purge for a little longer, I love browsing them nearer the time.

Katmom said...

I have to laugh,,, I thought I was the only one with a gazillion 'crafting' books,, and yep, even duplicates!
My "reason/excuse" for having collected so many,,, was to have in my retirement years,,, well here I am,, retired,, and no time to read them!!! lol!

RB said...

Sounds just lovely. One day soon, I may do that too.
Your Christmas books reminded me of the colorful inspirational Christmas Ideals magazines our Great Aunt Rose often got for our mother some holidays. They also put out an Easter and possibly Thanksgiving issue too. So gorgeous. Every once in a while, I'll run across new issues (they were still publishing as of a couple of years ago), and I'll have trouble resisting buying it. But as in old times, it ain't cheap, and I am. LOL
Prayers everyone has a great week, and a safe one too.
Love you.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Katmom, I couldn't believe how many books I collected, and we do often laugh when I find duplicates. Some times I order books from the library and forget I already have the book, ha ha!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I do remember those Ideals books for the holidays. Praying for a safe week for you too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, I'm often found sitting in the hallway, browsing from my book shelf there. The kids just laugh at me.