Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, July 26, 2018

100 days of weeding....coffee, coffee, coffee (grab a cup of our favorite bevarage too...it's a long one)

I'm up at 5am this morning.  The corn is all done for the this season.  Well, sort of done.  It's been shucked, removed, and frozen finally. 70 cups so far this year, and I am saving a dozen for another reason this weekend.


Tiger comes crying for an ear right when I starting slicing off the corn.  It shuts him up for just a while, until he begs for more.  Most of the cobs went to the chickens, but some went in the compost.


I'm still putting up blueberries (20 lbs).


Sliced a few cucumbers up for vinegar-cucumbers.  I typically use the recipe I posted years ago, but leave the oil out.  I was plum out of garlic (getting pulled soon), and had one dinky dill plant to use for it).


New Recipe Tried - cucumber juice.  Delicious.  I just peeled and blended, strained the pulp, and added some organic lime juice and sugar to taste.  The juice would be pretty good to make cucumber margaritas with too.  The pulp was given to the chickens for a nice afternoon treat.

The pumpkins have been resurrected now.  They look good, but man the weeds are out of control this year.  I used the hoe for these (getting a 3 hour upper body work out).  The idea is for the sun to dry up the weeds and create a mulch to prevent more.  The popcorn is next.  It's been a weed, water, weed, water year.  Once again....no rain, but it's in the forecast for today.

Speaking of rain...if we don't get any, I don't see us getting tomatoes, green peppers, turnips, chard, hot banana peppers, potatoes.....you get the picture.  Watering with well water is great, but not good enough. 

Yes...depressing year this year.  I now have to find a resource for stocking up organic, freshly grown green beans.  Almost makes me not want to plant a garden next year.

Even thought the squash all looked great, it's not producing anything now.  What was producing is now looking like it's dying off or not growing right.  Even the cucumbers.

I seriously need to focus on something else.  Something positive. Something constructive - target practice?  I had another driveway "creeper" the other day while I was sitting on the front porch.  It may help blow off some steam too.

We were also invited to a weekend bike week in WV.  We turned it down, and now I wish we didn't.  I soooo need a break from negativity, bad mojo, and set backs.  Every day starts with several cups of coffee, combined with heavy sighs.

I'll be honest, I'm not even sure a motorcycle ride would revive me.  I've been down right cranky, miserable, tired, and as "Youngest" called me, salty.

Even the chickens are causing havoc.  Four got out of the run fence the other day.  Guess I better check the fence.  Then again, maybe I should just let them have at it in the garden?

Hubby has lost his mojo for just about anything too.  The truck now needs work, two tires need replaced on the car, he's way behind in mowing, and the hitch has not made it's way to the truck.  Which means no camping, and we haven't gone camping for 1 1/2 years now, and that is definitely one of my "happy places.

Stand by, while I go find my "happy" place.....I'm sure ya'll getting tired of my weed posts.

8 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, that's beautiful corn! You will be well-fed, corn-wise, all winter. I am missing my green beans, too. I started some in mid-July, so I am hoping for a fall crop - even if it's just a handful or two. We seem to have the same weed infestation. It's so discouraging when you work your fanny off for hours, then a week later, they're back. It's too bad you didn't get to camp yet - maybe it's time to focus on the hitch and hit the road!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I was about to tell Hubby I'd bake him a zucchini blueberry snack cake if he'd take me camping, ha ha! I hope to fall plant the green beans, but need to get Hubby out to mow down the weeds where it didn't come up first. It's too big of an area to hand hoe and still plant in time.

Connie said...

This year is only my 5th year to garden. We didn't have a place big enough until we moved here, but I'm discovering that every year is different. One year I had three spaghetti squash plants and I could have feed the whole community. The next year I had none and this year I have 2 plants and four squash so far. I have a pumpkin vine that has gone crazy, it is beautiful and 15 feet long, but only one pumpkin. I'm delighted that we are not like the pioneers and have to only depend on what we grow as our only source of food.
Happy gardening!
Connie :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Connie, that's sort of why I am a bit grouchy this summer. I strive for self-sufficiency and living off what we raise and grow, and this year has definitely been a struggle, challenge and constant care.

Mary said...

What’s a driveway creeper? I just went and read back over recent posts to see if there was something I’d missed, but didn’t find any

mamasmercantile said...

Would it be worth clearing a space and planting a late crop of beans? A break away sounds like the perfect tonic.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mary, I have had people drive in and stop by the old downed barn and walk around it without even knocking on the door. They drive by and want the old barn wood. And one time a young kid just barreled into my driveway, stopped by the standing barn, got out and did something in his trunk for a long time. My dogs were barking madly and he still didn't come around the car. I went stood to where he would see me and when he did, he got in and took off. Another time a guy pulled in and stopped, put his seat back and was going to just simply sleep off whatever he was high on (thankfully Hubby was home that day). I had a guy pull in and just sit in the driveway looking down, close to my porch, which I was sitting. He didn't leave, and I was not going to approach him, but watched him. I decided to go inside lock the door and continue to watch. When I did that he took off. I am hearing robberies right no peoples porches, and I don't trust anyone anymore. It's a scary world when you live so close to a country highway.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

mamasmercantile, we plan to try and fall plant the green beans. It's worth a try anyway.