Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Friday, June 1, 2018

Whew!

I'm so glad Hubby took some vacation time for Bike week.  For those who don't know what "bike week" is, it's a week in the year where we bikers get together, have events, food, and good music (and specific ride events such as poker runs, wine tours, raffles, charity rides, etc.) 

Hubby was home to help me get the some of the garden in.  While sitting on the porch for the morning sunrise the other day, we heard a group of coyotes move through the woods behind us.  Scary sounds.  It's the first time to hear them since we had goats.
  

We were lucky to find tomato plants last week - last two flats of heirloom paste that they had.  So many produce stands have closed, and I'm not set up yet to start them indoors for us.  Hopefully next year.   We have 109 tomatoes plants and we still don't have our beefsteak type yet.

We are still busy planting.  Not all of the vegetable garden is in yet.  Rain delayed tilling, planting etc.

It feels wrong to post without some photos, but hopefully I'll have some for the next one.

4 comments:

Mama Pea said...

One hundred and nine tomato plants! Holeymoley!! Don't mind me, you know I'm just jealous I can't get tomatoes to ripen in our area . . . without a greenhouse or hoop house. That's still on the list, but other (expenses!) projects are higher on the list. Still, I do want so much to be able to make all my own tomato products. Someday, someday . . .

Susan said...

109 tomato plants?! Wowza! That is a whole lotta tomatoes! I foresee one busy, busy woman this fall! Glad you both got some time off and together - hope the weather was nice for your rides.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I hope if I do it right this summer, we'll stock up tomato items for 2 years and won't need to plant next year. That's the plan anyway.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, the weather has been unpredictable. There has been rain storms when no rain has been forecasted, making it impossible to get the rest of the garden in. It's been a strange start to a garden year.