Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Hot!

It's been hot here. Yesterday we reached 95°F again, with a whopping high of 107°F heat index.

Nothing could be done outside, but I sure had a long list for inside too.  We don't have the large air conditioner put in downstairs, so it's been somewhat uncomfortable working indoors too.  I managed to pick some radishes and garlic scapes though.



Another batch of garlic scape and radish spread was made and immediately enjoyed.  I put 3 scapes in it this time.  Yum!

My long list of indoor work included cleaning the master bathroom, sorting the book pile and purging....




...freezing strawberries too.


I filled the dehydrator with thyme.  Restocked now, and will try to fill it one more time.  I use this not only for cooking and baking, but for butters, teas, and my Four Thieves Vinegar.  Thyme is a disinfectant too.

Yesterday, I managed to sort four large stacks of books to get rid of, but our local library won't take them until September.  Nope, not waiting, so they will go to the thrift.  Lots more to sort, dust and decide if they stay or if they will  go.  

I clearly had a love for Christmas.  I have a lot of recipe books, so I flipped through and saved some.  Not like I need more recipes, ha ha!

2 comments:

Susan said...

It must be hard to turn on the dehydrator with that kind of heat around! Thank you for the reminder - I need to check my garlic scapes. I live on garlic scape pesto all year long! I hope your heat wave breaks soon...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, it's very hard to do anything in the heat. Today it's much better out, but the air conditioner still needs to be put in. Sigh...